» «
Muse de la Vie Romantique
Museum of the Romantic Period
#About the Museum of the Romantic Period

The Museum of the Romantic Period (Musée de la Vie Romantique) is located in the ninth district of Paris, not far from the Opera House. It is surrounded by a blooming garden and rose bushes, and exemplifies the Romantic period, using art pieces and many lectures. The Romantic Museum is located near Pigalle Place in the ninth district. The museum is inside a villa built in 1830, where a Dutch artist lived name Ary Scheffer, who was the King of France's favorite painter (the last king, King Louis Philippe).

During the 19th century the villa was used as a meeting place for the elite artists, poets, composers, painters and authors. Among them: the poet Lamartine, the composer Rossini, the painter Delacriox, and the author George Sand with her lover, the composer Frédéric Chopin.After Scheffer passed away, the villa was inherited by family members, and in 1982 it became a museum dedicated to Scheffer's life works and the wild life of George Sand.

the museum's exhibits have to do with the Romantic period. The museum displays Scheffer's work from the years 1795 - 1858, the years he hosted the elite artists of his time. The atmosphere was bohemian and it is as if it froze in time, far back in the 19th century.

The house where the museum is located was built in the 18th century by the student (and family relative) of legendary Ventura Rodriguez. The museum shows a collection of furniture, musical instruments, porcelain, ceramics, different decorative items, the living room where the meetings were held, a long dining table, even the bathroom of King Fernando VII. All these things together bring to life the life styles of that period.

You will also find a magical garden to pass a little time in.

#A Short History

The small house with the garden is dedicated to its owner, Ary Scheffer, and reminds of a whole artistic movement and legendary artists of that time in the ninth district. Scheffer was a Dutch painter that arrived to Paris with his mother. He befriended Louis Philippe before he was made king, and was a teacher to the King's children. Later he was awarded a the title of Duke in the royal court. The house was built in 1830 and Scheffer built a studio for his work and for hosting.

In 1985, the family donated the house to the city, who turned it into a museum showcasing Scheffer's work in his own home. You will also find a library here that has accumulated over 4 generations. The place is also a memorial for George Sand, French author from the 19th century, a neighbor and friend of Scheffer's, who was a leading feminist. Her granddaughter saved many of her belonging, which you can find today in the lounges, which restores her original apartment.

The small museum has temporary and impressive exhibits, it is worthwhile to see when these exhibits are happening and come accordingly.

A Closer Look:

Muse de l'Orangerie
Orangerie Museum
#About the Museum of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Art

The Orangerie Museum (Musée de l'Orangerie) is located next to the Concorde Square, on the south side of the Tuileries Gardens and on the banks of the Seine River. This is a museum of Impressionist and post-Impressionist art. In 1852 the building was used as a greenhouse for orange trees that grew in the palace gardens. That's how it received its name - "The Orangerie" (The orange green house).

It is not too large compared to other museums (it is only 1% as large as the neighboring Louvre Museum) and the truth is that you can go through a variety of works in somewhere between 1.5 and 2 hours.

One of the most famous exhibits is Claude Monet's "Water Lilies", which is 100 meters long! The paintings were painted between 1914-1926, inspired by Monet's famous garden in his home in the village of Giverny. The paintings are spread over two elliptical rooms that create a beautiful reflection for visitors and were given as a gift to the French government in honor of the French victory in World War I. Monet specifically requested that his work be presented in an aesthetic and poetic manner in order to offer a haven of calm and thought for the Parisians. They were displayed on the ground floor of the building and were lit up in daylight.

In 1965 it was decided to present the Walter Guillaume collection that includes many Impressionist paintings. Walter Guillaume's collections have accumulated over the years because he is a well known art dealer. The works are unique and reflect the style in the early decades of the 20th century.

In order to display the collection, a second floor was built in the building, and the water lilies were lit with artificial light, despite Monet's request. Today the museum has returned to display it in natural daylight.

#Renovations in the Building

In 1999, the building was closed for renovation purposes. As part of the renovations, a basement floor was built, illuminated by windows that allow natural lighting to display the works, and the top floor of the building was dismantled in order to allow the water lilies to be presented again in natural light.

During the construction and digging of the basement floor, remains of the city wall of Paris, dating back to the 16th century, were discovered. The wall is now on display in the museum and serves as one of the walls of the new halls. In addition, a lecture hall and a library were built underground.

A Closer Look at the Museum:

Muse Rodin
Rodin Museum
#Rodin Museums History

The Rodin Museum (Musée Rodin) is housed in a beautiful 18th century palace called Hotel Biron. The palace was built in 1731 as a luxurious residence of a wealthy barber and sought to establish for himself the most beautiful house in Paris of that time. After the death of the original owner, the palace changed several ownerships until, in 1905, the palace was purchased by the French government and divided into several luxury and expensive housing units.

The unique design of the palace and the magnificent gardens surrounding it attracted various artists such as Henri Matisse, and in 1908 the sculptor Auguste Rodin rented part of the ground floor of the palace to store his works. In the rooms he rented he used as a studio, where he worked and entertained his many friends. At the same time, Rodin began talking to the French government to fulfil his life's goal: to turn the palace into a museum dedicated to his works.

In 1916, as part of an agreement to establish the museum, Rodin donated all his works, sculptures and paintings, photographs and archives, as well as the private collections he had accumulated over the years. But Rodin did not live to see his dream come true - he died in 1917, while the museum opened its doors to the general public only two years later.

#What's at the Museum
In the 17 galleries of the palace, and in the nearby sculpture garden, you can see the famous works of Auguste Rodin, among them also those that have earned him great fame such as "The Thinker", "The Bourgeois of Calais" and more. Alongside Rodin's works are the works of Camille Claudel, who was his student and his beloved and a gifted sculptor, and works by other artists such as Van Gogh, Renoir, Monet and Monk.

One of Rodin's famous sculptures, the "Bronze Age", caused great rage when it was first shown in 1877. It was a statue of a naked man who looked so natural and real that the artist was accused of casting him on a living model. After it became clear that the accusations had no basis, the rage was replaced with great admiration, and Rodin was regarded as one of the greatest sculptors in the world.

Another famous sculpture, perhaps the artist's most famous sculpture, is the statue of "The Thinker" - a self contained human figure, who rests his head on his hand in a 'thinking' pose. This sculpture was part of a comprehensive work by Rodin. "The Gates of the Underworld" inspired by Dante's Divine Comedy, was also presented as an independent sculpture. In 1906 "The Thinker" was placed at the front of the Pantheon in Paris, thus becoming the first sculpture of the artist to be exhibited in a public place in Paris. After the opening of the Rodin Museum, the sculpture was copied to the sculpture garden of the Biron Palace, where it stands to this day.

#Auguste Rodin
The Rodin Museum is named after the French sculptor Auguste Rodin, who is known for his realistic style and for his famous sculpture "The Thinker."

Rodin was born in Paris to a poor family and despite his talent, at the beginning of his artistic career, he could not take off. For twenty years he made a living by carving, his application was rejected three times by the "Ecole des Beaux-Arts" (National High School of Fine Arts).

The turning point began in the mid 1870's, when he toured Italy and saw Michelangelo's works, from which he drew inspiration for his creation, "The Bronze Age." Rodin's characters were so realistic and distant from what was customary at the time that they accused him of casting with the bodies of living models. After it became clear that the charges against him had no basis, he received tremendous admiration for his impressive achievement and he was recognized as one of the greatest sculptors in the whole world.

#The Rodin Museum for Tourists
The house, cafe and garden of the Rodin Museum are dedicated to the work of the genius sculptor, Rodin, who lived and sculpted here during his last years. This is a small museum and one of the most unique and beautiful in the city. Many choose this museum as a favorite for them in Paris because of its beauty and pleasant and artistic atmosphere, along with the magnificent sculptures that make Rodin the successor of the Classical period sculptors.

The museum opened in 1919 and is located in the Hotel Biron, which was built in 1727 and where Rodin lived since 1908.

If you come here with children and the museum is not able to intrigue them enough, you can stroll through the museums garden and look at Rodin's sculptures. You can also sit in the museum's café, because it is open to the garden and while your sitting, the adults, can let the kids go wild in the lawns and learn about Rodin's works through the sculptures.

Hotel Biron underwent a three year and 16 million euro renovation, it reopened in November 2015. It also revealed 600 items that were never displayed before.

#Rodin's Most Prominent Works

At the museum you can find some of Rodin's familiar sculptures:

#The Gates of Hell

This is a huge sculpture project commissioned by the French government - a large bronze gate called "The Gates of Hell." The gate was to be the entrance of a decorative art museum, but it was not executed because it was never finished and the gate itself was not completed for 37 years until the sculptor's death.

#The Thinker

One of Rodin's most famous sculptures. It describes a bronze man immersed in his own thoughts. It's construction was completed in 1902 and two years later the statue was released to the public. The truth is that Rodin called it "Dante, the Thinker," but the more common and known name is "The Thinker."

#Les Bourgeois de Calais

The sculpture was completed in 1888 and describes the surrender of the city of Calais in 1347 to Edward III, after a siege that lasted over a year, during the Hundred Years War. Edward III offered not to destroy the city, provided all six of the most important dignitaries of the city came and sacrificed their lives. After the six dignitaries agreed and were persuaded by Queen of England, Philippa of Hainault, Edward III agreed not to carry out the execution. The sculpture presents the different characteristics of each of the six figures. The statue was controversial because Rodin chose to present the city's representatives as broken people rather than heroes.

#The Bronze Age

This is one of Rodin's most famous statues, and it sparked a great rage when it was first shown in 1877. The reason was because the statue of the naked man seemed so natural and real that the artist was accused of casting him from a live human model. After it became clear that the accusations had no basis, they recognized him as a genius and he was admired and appreciated as one of the greatest sculptors in the world. Many have since regarded him as the successor to the great sculptors of the classical period.

#Rodin Gardens

The Rodin Gardens are a magical wonder, like a gem inside a museum. There's a lot of beauty in them. Not luxurious, but a combination of simple, comforting and relaxing beauty at the same time. Classical symmetry and classical sculptures. You can not say that the sculptures scattered in the garden are only beautiful, but also arouse quite a bit of thought. From time to time tourists can be seen trying to imitate the more or less complicated poses of the statues.

The gardens spreads over 3,000 square meters and are divided into a rose garden and a large ornamental garden.

Between the two main buildings of the museum is a charming garden where passerby can see "The Thinker" and the famous roses of the gardens. But in order to really discover the large and wide gardens, one has to go through the wide structure.

To reach another magical garden, smaller than the previous ones, go all the way to the large pool surrounded by sculptures. When the garden seems to be over - continue beyond the big arches. There you will see a small garden, with an English ambience and dimness.

Free entry of the first Sunday of the month, from October to end of March.

Free for Under 18 and under 26 from the European Union.

A Closer Look at the Museum:

Palais de Tokyo
Palace of Tokyo
#Vision and Art

At the Paris Museum of Modern Art, located in the eastern side of the Palace of Tokyo (Palais de Tokyo), you will find works from cubism, surrealism, abstract works, contemporary works, decorative arts and more. This is not a regular museum, but a pilgrimage site from noon to midnight, which is attended by people of all ages and walks of life. The directors declare that its goal is to allow artists and designers to combine their needs and desires without restraint. The place is characterized as contemporary and dynamic - local and global.

Here you can find one of the biggest paintings in the world: Raoul Dufy's 1937 creation. This oil painting covers an area of 600 square meters and consists of 250 wooden planks.

The museum underwent a two year renovation period and was reopened in February 2006. As part of the renovation, an exhibition space was added in the basement and a special "black room" was built to project artistic videos and art. Dufy's work was also renovated: asbestos was removed from it and the painting was placed on curved walls illuminated from the floor, according to the original vision of the artist.

The modular space, which was built and curved in a conical shape, allows for different types of exhibitions.

Ever since January 2004, a large number of jugglers and fire artists meet every Saturday evening in the outer courtyard.

Electronic music concerts are hosted here a couple times a week, you can also find video game rooms and, of course, works by 30 artists from around the world. You will also find a collection of cubist works, made by Modigliani and George Rowe, Matisse and others. The museum offers a variety of temporary exhibitions by contemporary artists in a variety of genres and styles. Below the terrace of the museum's restaurant, on the back side of the museum near the Seine River, you can find large and colorful graffiti.

Here you will find a self service restaurant, a cheap cafeteria, art with strong social awareness and some strange and interesting shops. The place is open until midnight and every evening there are lectures and concerts. On Saturdays you can also find a pleasant market behind the palace that specializes in organic products.

#About Palais de Tokyo

"Palais de Tokyo" is a modern and contemporary art museum located in the 16th district of Paris. The Museum of Modern Art is located in the eastern side of the building, which belongs to the municipality of Paris. The "Palais de Tokyo" has been operating since 2002 in the western side of the building which belongs to the country. It is considered one of the most prominent sites of contemporary art in Paris. The original name of the building is "The Museums of Modern Arts Palace". The building later received the name "Palais de Tokyo", derived from the nearby street - Tokyo street.

The victors of the architectural design competition of the building were Jean-Claude Doondel, André Aubert, Paul Viar and Marcel Dastonier. The building was built in a monumental style (a lot of size and power), consisting of two completely symmetrical sides, separated by a fountain and a staircase. The windows in the ceilings allow natural light to penetrate and illuminate most of the building's rooms.

In the outside of the building you can find many statues such as the ones placed on the bank to reflect in the water. Today there is nothing left of them, except for the sleeping nymphs.

The Palais de Tokyo is spread over 7,700 square meters out of 22,000 square meters, which is the total area of the building. It was mentioned that - when necessary, it will be able to expand its activities very easily.

#The Uses of the Palais de Tokyo

The Museum of Modern Art was built in 1934. Its history is full of interesting uses:

During World War II, the lower floors of the building were used as shelter for Jews that had fled and hid in them.

In the 50's of the 20th century, the eastern side underwent extensive renovations. So in 1961, Paris's Museum of Modern Art could be opened, based on the works of Patty Palais. In 1977, collections from the Museum of Modern Art were taken from the western side of the building to the Centre Georges-Pompidou.

Between 1977 and 1986, the temporary location of the Museum of Experimental Art was established.

In 1988-1990, the Institute of Higher Studies in Plastic Arts used the Museum's old sculpture rooms.

The western wing of the palace, which between 1988 and 1995 was used by the Femis School (Film school), was evacuated. In 1999 the Minister of Culture and Media, Catherine Trotman, decided to partially reopen the western wing and house in it the Center for Contemporary Art. Thus, a competition was held to select a manager for the new center in July 1999, in which Nicolas Borio and Jerome Sen were granted a three year term.

In the newly redesigned spaces, the Palais de Tokyo became a site dedicated to contemporary art in all its forms: paintings, sculptures, designs, fashion, video art, cinema, literature and dances.

About 50% of the site's activity is funded by a subsidy from the French Ministry of Culture, but the rest of the funds comes from the various revenues of the site, such as ticket sales.

Art in Paris

Jeu de Paume
Jeu de Paume
#About the Gallery for Contemporary Photography and Video Art

The National Gallery Jeu de Paume is a spectacular exhibition space with different exhibits dedicated to contemporary art and photography.

The exhibit is located in Tuileries Gardens, on the north west side of the Place de la Concorde, in the first district of Paris. The exhibition’s area is 1,200 square meters. It was built in 1861, during the reign of Napoleon the third. In the beginning you could only find tennis courts in the compound. The name of the building is derived from the old nickname of tennis in France - "Zé de femme".

The building was dedicated to art ever since the year 1909, in cooperation with the art institutions, the Orangerie Museum and the Louvre Museum. During World War II the building was used to store creations of Jewish artists who had been confiscated by the Nazis. Between the years 1947 and 1986, the inauguration year of the Musée d'Orsay, the Jeu de Paume Gallery exhibited impressionist works.

At the initiative of the Culture Minister Jacques Lang, the gallery was renovated in the early 90s of the 20th century, and reopened afterwards under the name "The National Gallery Jeu de Paume". The new gallery was dedicated to different types of modern contemporary art, however, since 2004 it is only dedicated to contemporary photography and video art exhibitions.

The gallery is recommended especially for modern art lovers.

#The Significance of a Home

With art being art, political disputes often arise. In 2013 an exhibition by Palestinian photographer Ahlam Shibli called, "Phantom House", was opened and dealt with the contradictory meanings that the term "home" may bring.

In between some of the displayed photos, were portraits of suicide bombers accompanied by texts written by the artist. One photo, in which the perpetrator was labeled "martyr" ignited a storm and the gallery explained that this series of photographs is part of a large series that challenges the contradictions in the concept of the term home and rejected the accusation of encouraging terrorism. The gallery has also made it clear that the term "martyr" is given to the photo only by the artist and does not represent the views of the gallery. Signs were placed alongside the photo clarifying this.

The exhibition aroused controversy and the Jewish community in France pressured and even threatened the gallery to a point were security at the galleries entrance was increased.

The gallery was accused of "glorifying terror" and Jewish organizations in France protested the use of state funds for this. Roger Cokerman, the president of the Jewish organizations, sent a message to the French Minister of Culture requesting clarification from the gallery about the decision to allow the exhibition.

On the other hand, artists, curators and museum directors supported the artist, and the freedom of expression.

After investigating the issue, the French Ministry of Culture announced that it is the right of the gallery to display the exhibition. It then added that the questioning the boundaries of an artists freedom of expression is important and worth looking into.

A Closer Look:

Muse national Picasso
Picasso National Museum
#About the Museum

The Picasso National Museum (Musée National Picasso) is relatively new in the Parisian landscape and has become one of the flagship museums of Paris. The museum is dedicated to the works of an artist known as Pablo Picasso, probably the most famous artist of the 20th century, and it includes more than 3,000 works of art: paintings, drawings, illustrations, sculptures and pictures of the artist's own life. The works were created between the years 1894-1973.

The museum is built in such a way that while you wander through it, you go through the original and chronological creations of Picasso himself and are exposed to informational items and relevant events from his time, year after year. Thanks to this form of presentation, you can understand Picasso's complex artistic development process and the points of reference in his artistic history and historical events during the creative process - the blue, pink, Cubist and surreal period. For example, you can see, along with pictures of Picasso from the 50's, cartoons depicting the attitude of the people of the period to his works. The museum also tries to show the influence of Picasso's granddaughter on his works, which have become much less abstract ever since she was born.

The museum is located in the Marais area in the third district of Paris.

In the museum you will also find works by other famous artists of his time - Matisse, Cezanne, Degas and others, and you can take note of the mutual influences of the artists on each other's works. On the second floor of the museum there is an area with temporary displays and on the third floor are the museum offices and the library.

#The Museum's Building

The building where the museum is located was originally built for Pierre Aubert, the lord of Fontenay. Aubert's great wealth came in the wake of his role as a "salt taxer," which is where the building got the name "The Salt Building".

The buildings architect was Jean Boullier and is considered one of the most beautiful historical buildings in the Marais district.

Over the years, the ownership of the building has changed and its uses have been replaced. In 1671 the building was under the patronage of the Embassy of the Republic of Venice. During the French Revolution the building was confiscated and became property of the authorities and in 1815 it became an urban school of art. The building was purchased by the city of Paris in 1964 and received the status of a building for preservation.

After a competition in which they tried to decide what the purpose would be, it was chosen to serve as a museum showing the works of the artist Pablo Picasso.

#The Items in the Museum

In 1968, a law was passed which allows heirs to pay the inheritance tax through art objects considered part of France's cultural heritage. Picasso, who used to say "I am the greatest collector of Picasso in the world" - has accumulated thousands of his own works, several works by other artists and a large number of primitive sculptures from around the world. Thus, after the death of Picasso in 1973, his heirs were persuaded to donate his works, in order to avoid a huge estate tax they could not pay. This collection, which included about 5,000 items, became a museum. Over time, another 1,000 items were added to the museum.

The museum has four works that deserve special attention:

"Self Portrait" - a painting painted during a hard and lonely winter in 1901 in one of the most difficult periods in Picasso's life.

"Two Brothers" - a painting drawn in 1906 in Spain.

"Two Women Running on the Beach" - a painting that served as a Decorative curtain for the ballet "The Blue Train".

And "The Kiss" - a painting drawn in 1969. This picture was drawn a few years after he married his wife Jacqueline and began to paint also familiar subjects such as love life.

Free entry of the first Sunday of the month.

Free for Under 18 and under 26 from the European Union.

A Closer Look at the Museum:

Espace Dal
Dali Paris Museum
#About the Space

The Dali Paris (Espace Dalí) is a museum dedicated entirely to the works of Salvador Dali in Paris. It is located on the Montmartre Hill near the famous Tatra Square. In the space you will find about 300 original works of art by Dali, in his surrealistic style. Here you can see the collection of the 12 tribes of Israel that he painted on the for the 25th anniversary of the State of Israel, other paintings inspired by the books "Alice in Wonderland" and "Don Quixote," the original statue of the famous "Space Elephant" and the illustration of the "Time Snail." In the museum you will even find a small room of surrealist furniture designed by Dali. During your visit to the museum, music will be played in the background and you can give your children an opportunity to get to know Dali's art through the museum's creative art workshops.

For those of you who like Dali's works and surreal art in general - this place is great for you.

#About Salvador Dali

Salvador Dali was a surreal Spanish-Catalan painter, one of the most important of the 20th century. He liked to combine images of bizarre dreams full of imagination, influenced by the great renaissance artists and by the teachings of Sigmund Freud. His works influenced 20th and 21st century art in all areas: painting, sculpture, music, photography and cinema.

The painter Dali was born on May 11, 1904 in Spain. He acquired his first art education at an urban school of painting, and by 1917 his family had organized his first charcoal exhibition. In 1922 he moved to Madrid, where he studied at the Art Academy and began to develop a status of an eccentric, with long hair, sidelocks, a coat, stockings and old fashioned knee length trousers. He quickly added the famous mustache, which added to his overall appearance a unique character and style.

Dalí was expelled from the Academy shortly before the final exams in 1926. The reason - he decided that no one in the faculty had the means to test his skills. That same year he also made his first visit to Paris, where he met Picasso, from which he would be inspired and influenced by many of his works in the years to come.

In 1929 he met his future wife, Gala. He even began to get involved in the film industry when he collaborated with the Spanish director Luis Buñuel. He married Gala five years later and following the outbreak of World War II in Europe, they moved to the US. The young couple lived in the United States for eight years.

In 1942 Dali published his amusing autobiography "The Secret Life of Salvador Dali." He spent the rest of his life in Catalonia, his hometown, but after his wife Gala died in 1982, the painter seemed to have lost his taste for life and found himself at the center of strange cases that resembled suicide attempts. A group of friends, supporters, and artists who loved him made sure he could spend his last years calmly. He died of heart failure in 1989.

#About Surrealism

The meaning of Surrealism in art is "above reality." It is a branch in which art combines irrationality and surprise. Surrealist works combine illogical dream pictures with surprising similarities. It was Andre Breton who founded the movement and adopted the word "surrealism,"which was already born in 1917 by the poet Guillaume Apollinaire.

Instead of looking outward to the world outside the artist's window, surrealism seeks to change the direction of observation and to look inside, into human thought, and into the human psyche, to use dreams, imaginations, and subconscious as the source of artistic inspiration.

The movement was born in response to the global shock that followed the World War I. This great war gave birth to a terrible sense of failure, of the logic and order that was usual until then. That is why the surrealists came and tried to produce a new branch of art, one that acts without logic, reason and order, but with randomness, creativity and correction to the mental and human problems. Clearly, surrealism was influenced by Sigmund Freud's ideas about the subconscious.

The most prominent surrealists were artists such as Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte, Juan Miro and Max Ernst.

A Closer Look (in 360) at the Dali Space:

Muse d'Orsay
d'Orsay Art Museum
#Musée d'Orsay - The Train Station That Became an Art Museum

One of the most impressive art museums in the world is dedicated to art from the second half of the 19th century and the early years of the 20th century. The d'Orsay Art Museum (Musée d'Orsay) is located on the left bank of the Seine River in the 7th district of the prestigious area of Saint Germain. The museum has an impressive collection of art, including a variety of important and famous works from 1848 to 1914.

The spacious building now used as a museum was no less than a train station and a hotel in the past. During your visit you can still see the huge clocks used by the passengers and the floors remind you a little of the platforms that were once here. The transformation of the station into a museum began in 1977 and opened to the general public in 1986.

The museum also features sculptures, decorative art, photographs and furniture. You can see the works of the most important impressionist artists - Monet with "Women in the Garden", "Heaps of Hay" and "Poppies", Renoir's famous works such as "Dances in the Moulin de la Galette" and "The Bathers", some of Degas's sculptures of famous dancers and Manet most important works, "Breakfast on the Grass" and "Olympia"

Do not miss the works of the amazing realist Krove, which will leave you stunned with your mouth open. Then continue to the Impressionist side - paintings that accurately reflect what the eye sees.

As we continue to wander through the museum's parts, we arrive at the post-Impressionists part - those who rebelled and abandoned Impressionism in favor of establishing a new artistic language. Van Gogh, the father of expressionism, describes not only what exists in nature, but his moods and feelings, which are not only private and personal, and which embrace each other.

#Creations Worth Looking at in the Museum

There are many worthwhile creations in the museum, here are some of them:

#Starry Night over The Rhone (Vincent van Gogh)

Van Gogh's work was painted in 1888. It depicts the banks of the Rhone River in the city of Arles in France. The painting is drawn from a remote perspective, from the eastern bank of the river to the western bank, which allows it to demonstrate the reflections of the street lighting (gas lamps) in the river. In the painting you can see a pair of lovers strolling along the riverbank. The painting shows specific buildings in Arles, such as the church towers of Saint Julien and Saint Tropez.

#Bal du Moulin de la Galette (Pierre Auguste Renoir)

Renoir painted this work twice - once big and ocne small. The large version can be found in the museum and the small one is currently in a private collection. The work depicts a dance of the bourgeois class, which takes place in Montmartre in Le Moulin de la Galette, on Sunday afternoons. The painting includes a large number of figures - some standing, some dancing and some sitting at tables. Above the group are trees that allow rays of sun to pass and illuminate the characters. The characters in the painting are cut off and therefore there is a sense that the scene is part of a larger event that takes place outside the boundaries of the picture.

#Lunch on the Grass (Edouard Manet)

Manet's oil painting depicts a naked woman beside two dressed men, dining in a garden in Paris in 1863. This was the first time female nudity in daily context was introduced in a painting, without any explicit social or political statement.

#The Museum's Building

The Musée d'Orsay, considered one of the most impressive and popular museums in the world, is a magnificent architectural structure of metal and glass, which began its construction in 1898.

The museum was built where a train station used to be. The station was inaugurated in 1900, but due to a lack of compatibility with newer and more modern trains, it was only used for 40 years. The building was used for several decades for different needs, until in the mid-1970's when the entire building was designated for demolition. A modern multi-functional complex was planned to be built there, but due to the stubbornness of the French museum management, which discovered the potential inherent in the special building, a museum dedicated to art from the second half of the 19th century to the early years of the 20th century was created there.

In 1977, the decision was made and the railway station became an artistic lodge while preserving its outer shape. The museum opened to the public in 1986, and to this day, while utilizing the high spaces of the building, it presents neoclassical, romantic, impressionistic, realistic and other creations.

The ground floor is divided into three levels that present painting, sculpture and architecture.

On the second floor of the building are Impressionist works by a variety of painters.

#The Story of the Striping Artist

In 2016, the artist Deborah de Robertis from Luxembourg was arrested after lying naked in a museum, in front of the painting "Olympia" by Edouard Manet. The painting shows a naked woman lying in her full glory looking directly at the viewer's eyes. Behind the woman is a black maid. In those days, the exhibition "Luxury and Misery: Images of Prostitution 1850-1910" was presented at the museum, which dealt with the excitement of various artists in the phenomenon of prostitution that grew in the second half of the 19th century. Manet's painting caused turmoil at the time, ever since the first time it was presented in 1865. This is because the painting was very direct and daring for its time. He introduced a real prostitute and not a mythological figure, historical or religious - which was more common in the works of the time.

But the naked appearance of the striping artist, while many people were standing around the painting, awakened the museum guards, who closed the room and asked her to dress. Because she refused, the police were summoned and removed her from the place.

The artist's lawyer explained that she carried a camera in order to document the audience's reactions, and that in fact it was a work of art. Despite the reputation that comes to France as a place that promotes free sex, cases from recent years indicate that there too, they find it difficult to accept such harsh provocations. After her release from prison, the artist said that the French reaction was hypocritical to her.

A Closer Look at the Museum:


Htel de Ville de Paris
Hôtel de ville de Paris
#About Paris's Town Hall, Hôtel de Ville de Paris

The town hall of Paris is located in the fourth district and has been there since 1357. In the year 1871, during the days of the Paris Commune, the building was burned down, after France surrendered to Germany that same year. The archives, municipal library and the important document collections had a similar fate.

Even today, being a site of power and luxury, where the council of Paris sits, and where the mayors guests are welcomed, part of it is open for exhibitions.

The town square in the west front of the building, turned into a pedestrian space in the year 1982. Throughout history, this was a place of gatherings for rebels, insurgents and protestors. Some of the greatest criminals in French history met their maker here by means of hanging, decapitation and fire.

This site is recommended for lovers of history, art and architecture. A guided tour can be organized with the municipality. Visitors can visit the conference room, which was designed with inspiration of the halls of Versailles. Free art exhibits are on display and are very popular amongst tourists and locals.


After it was destroyed in a fire during the Paris Commune in 1871, the building was rebuilt between the years 1874 and 1882, according to the plan of the architects Theodore Boulou and Ediard Deporte. The front of the building was designed in a neo-Renaissance style, imitating the look of the burned building.

On the front side of the decorated building you can find gothic style windows and figures of 146 famous Parisian figures that have contributed to the city's art, science and politics.

The building is characterized by windows that tell a story and by many sculpted niches. The interior is filled with decorative furniture and wall hangings.

The main facade is decorated with figures that define Paris - including artists, scientists, politicians and industrialists.

In the inner courtyard, there are two bronze statues. One symbolizes art and the other, science. The main staircase leads to a ballroom and to other halls designed in a mixed "Renaissance" and "Belle Epoch" style (The beautiful era, a period of modernization and vast improvement in quality of life).

#Hotel de Ville Restaurant

One of the most expensive restaurants in the world is located right here. This Michelin three-star restaurant was managed by the couple Bridget and Benoit Valiard not too long ago. Both of them come from families with a rich culinary history. The restaurant uses fresh, high quality ingredients and the design of the place is very similar to the visuals of the food served there. Each serving at the restaurant looks just like a work of art and provides a multi-sensory experience.

In spite of the Pastoralism, a tragic story accompanies this place. In 2016, a few hours before Benoit's participation in the Michelin awards ceremony in Paris, he was found shot near his house with his hunting rifle next to him. The chef's death shocked the global culinary world. Two days after the incident, his wife, Bridget, who runs the restaurant, decided that the show had to go on and opened the restaurant to the general public. In the morning, she convened the restaurant staff and shared her plans for the future according to her husband's vision.

In December 2016, the restaurant won the "Best Restaurant in the World" title from the French Foreign Ministry's ranking the 1,000 restaurants in the world. The restaurant has a waiting list of 3 months.

#Days of the Paris Commune

This period of time, when the original Hotel de Ville was burned, was a period of innovation conducted by Napoleon the third. Napoleon appoints Baron Osman to make changes that will help Paris reach the 20th century and help it cope with its growth and with the industrial revolution.

Osman does some very dramatic things: he destroys the small alleys and builds large boulevards and new buildings instead. These are also years of architectural breakthroughs, an era of culture and intellectualism, in which artists such as Victor Hugo create. The city full is full of creation, thought and art.

In the early 70s of the 19th century, Paris once again suffered from the war between France and Germany. During the war Paris is under siege. The Persians even manage to conquer it and impose harsh taxes on France. The instability of the French government created an internal struggle and Paris suffered a revolutionary-anarchist outbreak as the Paris communes operated and controlled the city. These communes did take care of the masses and the values of equality, but damaged quite a few symbols of culture, especially those identified with the monarchy and the church which caused killings and the rule of terror. This situation put Paris in a difficult civil war.

In May of 1871 there was a "Bloody Week" - the Versailles army attacked Paris, killing tens of thousands of citizens and supporters of the communes and executed some of the leaders of the communes. The peace and quiet returns to France for a couple of decades until the beginning of the twentieth century.

#Fires and Politics

During the Franco-Prussian War the building played a central role in several political events.

On the 30th of October 1870, revolutionaries broke into the building and took over the government of the National Defence, with repeated demands for the establishment of the commune government. The current government was saved by soldiers who broke into the Hotel de Ville through an underground tunnel that connected the building with the nearby barracks.

On the 18th of January 1871, crowds gathered outside the building to protest against surrendering to the Prussians. They were dispersed by soldiers who fired from nearby buildings and even hit several of them.

The Paris Commune was a Municipal authority established in Paris with the fall of the Bastille. The first mayor was Jean-Sylvain Beau and he chose the Hotel de Ville as the town hall. In 1871, when the members of the commune saw opposing forces approaching the building, they set fire to the building in order to destroy all existing public records. The building, the archives, the municipal library and the important collections of documents were burned down. The enormous flames burned the whole building from the inside, leaving only an empty shell.

Reconstruction of the town hall began in 1873 and ended in 1892 (19 years).

A Closer Look:

Louvre Museum
#About the Museum

Paris's large and luxurious museum, the Louvre Museum (Musée du Louvre) is also one of the largest in the world. It is located on the right side of the first district of Paris, in what used to be a palace.

The Louvre was founded by King Philippe Auguste in 1190 as a fortified palace on the western border of Paris, as part of the defense of the city against Viking attacks. In the years following the construction of the fortress, when Paris expanded beyond the western boundaries set by the king, the palace was used as a line of defense for the storage of the royal treasury. Thus, in 1546, under the reign of François I, architect Pierre Lecco began to transform the fortress into a luxurious royal palace.

The idea of making the Louvre a museum rose during the time of Louis 15th. After the French Revolution, it was decided that the place should open to the masses so that they could enjoy the national masterpieces, and the museum opened in 1793 with an exhibition of 537 paintings.

In the years that followed, the museum was called the "Napoleon Museum" and not by chance. The collection of works expanded greatly during Napoleon's reign, mainly because of the loot he had collected during his wars. The current shape of the Louvre is a huge structure with two arms - the northern Risheleigh side and the southern Dennon side that surrounds Napoleon's courtyard in the center, it exists since 1874.

#Masterpieces in the Louvre

The Louvre currently has a quarter of a million works of art. Along with famous works, such as the Mona Lisa, or the Madonna and the Child of Leonardo da Vinci, you will also find less known art here. In any case, this is an unforgettable experience for every art lover.

For example, Venus from Milos, is perhaps the most famous Greek sculpture in the world. It was found by a local fisherman on the Greek island of Milos, in 1820, when it was split into two separate parts. The Turks, who ruled the island at the time, confiscated the finds, but the French ambassador who was in Istanbul made France buy them and since then it has been in the Louvre.

This is also the story of another mythical statue from Ancient Greece - the statue of Nike, facing against the wind. The statue presents the goddess of victory, Nike, standing against the wind, with her wing. She has no hands and no head, but she is beautiful and many come to the Louvre to see her.

Another famous statue here is the statue of the sitting clerk, an ancient Egyptian statue commemorating the ancient-new profession that was born with the invention of writing - the profession of the clerk, the secretary, who sits and writes diligently.

And there are also the giant Lamassu statues, which guarded the throne room in the palace of the Assyrian king Sargon II. On the ancient stone on which the Hammurabi laws are written, the most comprehensive collection of laws published in antiquity.

#About the Theft of the Mona Lisa

In August 1911, the Mona Lisa was stolen from the Louvre Museum in Paris. The thief, a museum employee named Vincenzo Peruggia, hid the little painting under his coat and casually left the museum. The Paris police searched for the thief in vain, they offered money to any informants and interrogated anyone who could have known anything, but found nothing. For two years the thief had hidden the painting that would now become the most famous work in history, in a box under his bed.

When he returned to Italy, two years later, Peruggia offered to sell the painting to the Uffizi Museum in the city of Florence. Minutes later, the local police received a phone call that made it the detective hero of the time. The Mona Lisa was found!

The thief at first said, "I acted on impulse." He then changed his version and said that he wanted to return it to Italy, from where Napoleon stole it. In the trial he said this again and again, and the judges eased his sentence, despite the unimpressive historical knowledge he was discovered with. It is ironic that after a short prison sentence, Peruggia the "patriot" returned to France and died just a few years later.

#About the Mona Lisa

The most famous painting in the world is, oddly enough, one of the most modest and small paintings that exist.

The painting is called "Mona Lisa" or "La Gioconda" and it is located in the Louvre Museum in Paris. The painter is a Renaissance man, Leonardo da Vinci, and he painting for a very long time, in the 16th century.

This portrait is revolutionary, because it changed the way of painting portraits, completely accurate copies. If until then they used to paint mostly in profile, it was a frontal painting that completely changed the picture, literally. All the portraits followed his way and were frontal.

The gentle brush strokes and the blurring of the corners of the lady's mouth give Mona Lisa a mysterious and intriguing smile that fascinated generations of art lovers and made this painting known all over the world.

In addition, Leonardo used various techniques such as delicate games of light and shade in the Mona Lisa. The difference between the portrait, the background and the special perspective, increased realism in the painting. But the real genius in the painting is the use of the method he developed called Sfumato. In the Sfumato method, the artist creates a gradual and careful transition from color to color or shade to shade, so that the sub-colors cannot be distinguished. Today in the digital age it is obvious, but during the Renaissance it was an innovative invention, implemented in Mona Lisa and added great depth to the painting.

The Mona Lisa is undoubtedly the most famous painting in the world. Hundreds of copies and fakes have survived over the years. Experts say it is the most copied painting in the world.

But unlike all copies and fakes, a recent painting stands out with a truly exciting story. This is the same lady called "Mona Lisa" painted by Leonardo about a decade before the famous painting. The lady is younger, the scenery is different, the colors are lighter, but the poses and faces are the same. Even the marble pillars cut from the renowned Mona Lisa are painted.

#The Museum's Architecture

The big and luxurious Louvre Museum of Paris is also one of the largest in the world. The place born in the 12th century as a fortified palace on the western border of Paris was initially designed to protect the city from Viking attacks. The Vikings often attacked in the Middle Ages and conquered cities throughout Europe.

The current shape of the Louvre is a huge structure with two arms - the northern Risheleigh side and the southern Dennon side that surrounds Napoleon's courtyard in the center, it exists since 1874.
In 1983, Francois Mitterrand, the French president, proposed the "Grand Louvre" plan to renew and renovate the museum. The Chinese-American architect Leoh Ming Pei, who won the project, offered the Glass Pyramid as the main entrance in the center of Napoleon's courtyard and three small pyramids next to it.

The Louvre pyramid is made of metal frames and glass panels. It serves as the main entrance to the museum. The pyramid and the underground lobby solved the difficulty of including the large number of visitors to the museum every day. What is so special about this structure is that the visitors enter through the pyramid, from which they descend into the spacious lobby and then ascend to the main buildings of the museum.

A Closer Look:


A visit:



Georges Pompidou Center
#The Pompidou Center - Center for Contemporary Art in Paris

The Georges Pompidou Center (Centre Georges Pompidou) for Contemporary Art, named after one of the Presidents of France in the 1870's, is one of the highlights of modern and innovative Paris. It is located in the fourth district in the Beauvoir area and close to the beautiful Marais area.

The opening of the center in 1977 caused a big public debate, due to its unusual and strange appearance. Because of its modernist architecture, which was revolutionary and not common at the time, the locals called the center names such as an oil refinery or a textile factory.

As the home of the National Museum of Modern Art, The Pompidou Center contains some of the most interesting collections of contemporary art. From the artworks of the painter Pablo Picasso to the works of Andy Warhol pop art a variety of styles are exhibited here.

In the square at the right near the center, many street performers gather, such as magicians, musicians, fire breathers and other various artists.

The complex also features the famous and entertaining Stravinsky Fountain, where the 16 sculptures represent the works of composer Igor Stravinsky. You will also find a diverse library open to the general public and IRCAM, the Center for Music Research and Acoustics. One of the famous albums created there is “Perfect Stranger” by Frank Zapa. Today, the center deals mainly with computerized music.

#The Pompidou Center Architecture

In 2013 Richard Rogers celebrated his 80th birthday.

The Pompidou Center is well known for Rogers' entire work, which he built together with Italian architect Renzo Piano. The main part of the proposal presented by the architects was the idea that the traditional didactic museum building was no longer suitable for contemporary art, and instead, a special technical structure should be established. Technologically, the structure was designed to provide the effect of exposed steel pipes with cross-tensile rods. Beyond that, the building was equipped with an intensive system of services that could grow and change according to future mechanical demands.

Despite the enormous dimensions of the building, it succeeded in integrating into the existing street system, precisely because it was different from the surrounding landscape. This is an unusual building in many respects: it has no sculptural architecture outside or a space development inside. Even the main staircase, as we know from the architectural world, disappeared here and instead, they built escalators from the subway station, but they were placed outside the building to allow an "architectural tour" in the urban space of Paris.

The center has two unusual fronts:
The public façade has escalators in a glass tube that diagonally ascends along the transparent wall and the back sealed front, which includes the plumbing, air conditioning systems and elevators. All the prominent identity colors of the building are taken from the world of oil refineries and laboratories.

The building made Piano and Rogers become world-class fame architects.

#What is inside The Pompidou Center?

The center contains the huge public library of Paris and the National Museum of Modern Art.

The museum has more than 50,000 works of art of various kinds, including painting, sculpture, drawing and photography. Of which, only about 2,000 are presented to the public. The styles that characterize the works are Fobism, Cubism, Surrealism and Abstract Expressionism.

On the first floor of the building there is a changing exhibit of industrial design, on the second and third floors there is a library with half a million books. On the third and fourth floors is the Museum of Modern Art, the largest of its kind in Europe, where you will find an impressive collection of paintings by Dali, Magritte, Ernest, Rowe, Kandinsky, Matisse, Braque, Picasso, Jackson Pollock and Andy Warhol.

In the square in front of the center, there is a lively activity of street artists in the form of silent human statues, imitators and mimes, jugglers, magicians, fire spiders and more.
There is always a large gathering in the entrance plaza, to the delight of tourists looking for attractions and artists collecting pennies.

At the top of the building you will find a luxurious restaurant and an observation deck.

#Tourism in The Pompidou Center

The Pompidou Center is a cultural center that has grown into one of the most important ones in France. The building is surrounded by the iron construction and serves as a residence for the Museum of Modern Art and the Municipal Library. Despite the many debates that raged in Paris until there was approval to build this "ugly" building, its success exceeded the expectations. Its ugliness is actually the secret of its success, which is the most visited museum in the world and has become a victim of its success. The museum receives 25,000 visitors a day, five times what they initially expected. In its first 20 years, 160 million people visited the center.

The structure of the center is designed and built in an interesting hi-tech style. Outside hang pipes of its various systems. Each system has a different color according to its function: Blue - air, green - water, yellow - electricity, red - traffic (such as elevators).

Most of the city can be seen from here: the tall Montmartre hill with its white church, "Sacré-Cœur" to the Invalides where Napoleon Bonaparte is buried.


Every first Sunday of the month, entrance is free.

If you are looking to come at opening hours, try getting in line at least half an hour before. There are long lines here, and it's worth it to get here early.

On the sixth floor is a restaurant with a panoramic view that really great.

In the Pompidou Center there is wifi for free - if you need to use wifi, this is a good place to take advantage.

At the square next to the center you can see street performers, and absorb the Parisian air.

It's recommended to go all the way to the top floor of the museum, to the roof, sit by the window and drink a cup of coffee at 'Cafe Beaufort.'

A Closer Look:


אֵאוּרִיקַה - האנציקלופדיה של הסקרנות!

העולם הוא צבעוני ומופלא, אאוריקה כאן בשביל שתגלו אותו...

אלפי נושאים, תמונות וסרטונים, מפתיעים, מסקרנים וממוקדים.

ניתן לנווט בין הפריטים במגע, בעכבר, בגלגלת, או במקשי המקלדת

בואו לגלות, לחקור, ולקבל השראה!

אֵאוּרִיקַה - האנציקלופדיה של הסקרנות!

נראה שכבר הכרתם את אאוריקה. בטח כבר גיליתם כאן דברים מדהימים, אולי כבר שאלתם שאלות וקיבלתם תשובות טובות.
נשמח לראות משהו מכם בספר האורחים שלנו: איזו מילה טובה, חוות דעת, עצה חכמה לשיפור או כל מה שיש לכם לספר לנו על אאוריקה, כפי שאתם חווים אותה.