» «
#About the City of Paris

The beauty of Paris is exciting from the first second. In Paris, it is not picturesque like Amsterdam, or restraint like London. If those are quiet city capitals, Paris is the one that stops your heart from beating and takes your breath away. Admirers of Paris have said that even 77 years will not be enough time to soak in its beauty.

The big cathedrals, the fantastic squares, the spectacular streets and the magical gardens, the impressive palaces, the elegant houses, the shopping displays and the warm cafes - everything here lets you know that you have arrived to Paris, the most beautiful and seductive cities in the world.

#Must See
Want to see the most popular destinations? - Click on the tag "Must see in Paris".

#With Children
Family Vacation? - Click on the tag "Attractions for Children in Paris".

Unforgettable meal? - Click on the tag "Must eat in Paris".

In most European countries service fees are already included in the check, so it is customary to give a 2 euro tip, regardless of the price of the check itself.

#Paris Country Code

For public transportation - Buy an free pass for the duration of your trip. The weekly pass Navigo is excellent for a week in the city, and there are longer times available as well. Traveling for less days? -Check the RATP card.
Supermarket - the Monoprix chain is cheap and reliable, it is economical, and the French do a lot of their grocery shopping there.
Museums - Many museums have free entrances on the first Sunday of every month. A student card or a pension card will get a big discount.
Picnics - a wonderful way to save money and eat. Buy fresh are the local markets and eat in the surrounding parks.
Renting an apartment - in Paris staying an apartments saves a considerate amount of money.
Free Wi-fi - Not all over the city, but there are a lot of hotspots spread around. Map: www.paris.fr/wifi

You will be able to find a lot of good things at Primark. If you are looking for really cheap, then the chain TATI is the place, and if offers a big variety of clothing from the East and from third world countries. You need a lot of patience to find good things here and for the long lines, to be like the French, bring your own bags, so when you talk around people won't know you shopped at TATI's.
See below a link for shopping recommendations in Paris.

#Clubs and entertainment
A good club is the Point Ephemere. Another is a techno club, the Rex Club, the underground Social Club, and the electronic music club Le Nouveau Casina.
Tickets for sporting events and concerts can be found at www.fnac.fr

#Electric Outlets
The required type are Type C or Type E. Type F will only work here if there is a third hole in the outlet.

#A Taste of the Upcoming Trip? - Here's a video That Will Show you the City in All its Beauty:


#A Bit From the Local Kitchen:

Centre Georges Pompidou
Centre Georges Pompidou
#The Pompidou Center - Center for Contemporary Art in Paris

The Georges Pompidou Center for Contemporary Art, named after one of the Presidents of France in the 1870s, is one of the highlights of modern and innovative Paris. It is located in the fourth district in the Beauvoir area and close to the beautiful Marais area.

The opening of the center in 1977 caused a big public debate, due to its unusual and strange appearance. Because of its modernist architecture, which was revolutionary and not common at the time, the locals called the center names such as an oil refinery or a textile factory.

As the home of the National Museum of Modern Art, The Pompidou Center contains some of the most interesting collections of contemporary art. From the artworks of the painter Pablo Picasso to the works of Andy Warhol pop art a variety of styles are exhibited here.

In the square at the right near the center, many street performers gather, such as magicians, musicians, fire breathers and other various artists.

The complex also features the famous and entertaining Stravinsky Fountain, where the 16 sculptures represent the works of composer Igor Stravinsky. You will also find a diverse library open to the general public and IRCAM, the Center for Music Research and Acoustics. One of the famous albums created there is “Perfect Stranger” by Frank Zapa. Today, the center deals mainly with computerized music.

#The Pompidou Center Architecture

In 2013 Richard Rogers celebrated his 80th birthday.

The Pompidou Center is well known for Rogers' entire work, which he built together with Italian architect Renzo Piano. The main part of the proposal presented by the architects was the idea that the traditional didactic museum building was no longer suitable for contemporary art, and instead, a special technical structure should be established. Technologically, the structure was designed to provide the effect of exposed steel pipes with cross-tensile rods. Beyond that, the building was equipped with an intensive system of services that could grow and change according to future mechanical demands.

Despite the enormous dimensions of the building, it succeeded in integrating into the existing street system, precisely because it was different from the surrounding landscape. This is an unusual building in many respects: it has no sculptural architecture outside or a space development inside. Even the main staircase, as we know from the architectural world, disappeared here and instead, they built escalators from the subway station, but they were placed outside the building to allow an "architectural tour" in the urban space of Paris.

The center has two unusual fronts:
The public façade has escalators in a glass tube that diagonally ascends along the transparent wall and the back sealed front, which includes the plumbing, air conditioning systems and elevators. All the prominent identity colors of the building are taken from the world of oil refineries and laboratories.

The building made Piano and Rogers become world-class fame architects.

#What is inside The Pompidou Center?

The center contains the huge public library of Paris and the National Museum of Modern Art.

The museum has more than 50,000 works of art of various kinds, including painting, sculpture, drawing and photography. Of which, only about 2000 are presented to the public. The styles that characterize the works are Fobism, Cubism, Surrealism and Abstract Expressionism.

On the first floor of the building there is a changing exhibit of industrial design, on the second and third floor there is a library with half a million books. On the third and fourth floor is the Museum of Modern Art, the largest of its kind in Europe, where you will find an impressive collection of paintings by Dali, Magritte, Ernest, Rowe, Kandinsky, Matisse, Braque, Picasso, Jackson Pollock and Andy Warhol.

In the square in front of the center, there is a lively activity of street artists in the form of silent human statues, imitators and mimes, jugglers, magicians, fire spiders and more.
There is always a large gathering in the entrance plaza, to the delight of tourists looking for attractions and artists collecting pennies.

At the top of the building you will find a luxurious restaurant and an observation deck.

#Tourism in The Pompidou Center

The Pompidou Center is a cultural center that has grown into one of the most important ones in France. The building is surrounded by the iron construction and serves as a residence for the Museum of Modern Art and the Municipal Library. Despite the many debates that raged in Paris until there was approval to build this "ugly" building, its success exceeded the expectations. Its ugliness is actually the secret of its success, which is the most visited museum in the world and has become a victim of its success. The museum receives 25,000 visitors a day, five times what they initially expected. In its first 20 years, 160 million people visited the center.

The structure of the center is designed and built in an interesting hi-tech style. Outside hang pipes of its various systems. Each system has a different color according to its function: Blue - air, green - water, yellow - electricity, red - traffic (such as elevators).

Most of the city can be seen from here: the tall Montmartre hill with its white church, "Sacré-Cœur" to the Invalides where Napoleon Bonaparte is buried.


Every first Sunday of the month, entrance is free.

If you are looking to come at opening hours, try getting in line at least half an hour before. There are long lines here, and it's worth it to get here early.

On the sixth floor is a restaurant with a panoramic view that really great.

In the Pompidou Center there is wifi for free - if you need to use wifi, this is a good place to take advantage.

At the square next to the center you can see street performers, and absorb the Parisian air.

It's recommended to go all the way to the top floor of the museum, to the roof, sit by the window and drink a cup of coffee at 'Cafe Beaufort.'

#A Closer Look:

Muse d'Art et d'Histoire du Judaism
Musee d'Art et d'Histoire du Judaism
#About the Museum

In Europe we can find many Jewish communities, however French Judaism is perhaps the largest and most magnificent. The history of the community includes ups and downs in the attitude of French government and society towards them. The Museum of Art and History of Judaism is very interesting, moving and stimulates thoughts on the question of who is a Jew in general and who is a French Jew in particular. It is located in the Marais district of central Paris, on Temple Street.

In 1986 Jacques Chirac, then mayor of Paris, designated a building that once served as a luxurious private hotel for a museum dedicated to French Judaism. As early as 1948, there was an active museum in Paris dedicated to Jewish art. Many of its collections were transferred to the new museum.

#Content of the Museum

The museum, which opened in 1998 after five years of preperation of the building, it contains a dignified and enlightening display of Jewish history in the city. It presents an impressive collection of works of art by the Jews of the city. Among others you can enjoy the works of Chaim Soutine, Marc Chagall and Chaim Lifshitz, alongside a collection of Judaica objects and antique Judaica items, as well as a new piece by Christian Boltanski commemorating the Jewish occupants of the building who perished in the Holocaust.

In the 19th century, three floors were added to the building that housed the museum, which were later removed in future renovations. Then they divided it into small apartments where Jewish families from Poland, Romania, and the Ukraine were housed. During the Nazi occupation, the Paris police deported them to the Drancy concentration camp, from which they were transported to extermination. 13 of the residents of the house did not return, and the museum now remembers and mentions them.

From the top of the building to the ground is the installation of Christian Boltanski, known as the "inhabitants of the Hotel St.-Anien, 1939". This work records the names of the inhabitants of the house, whose commemoration the artist reconstructed in the form of mourning notices used in Eastern Europe. Sometimes, in addition to the name, the place of birth and profession are also listed, such as marking the tragic amputation of an untold story.

The museum has a large library that focuses on Judaism and the history of the Jewish people in Europe and in Israel.

#About the Dreyfus Affair

This historic affair gets a lot of attention in the museum. The Dreyfus Affair was an anti semitic plot that took place in France in 1895. During that period, Alfred Dreyfus, a French Jewish artillery officer with the rank of captain, was charged with betraying his country and spying for Germany. This was after the French army intelligence revealed a letter sent to the German Embassy in Paris detailing secret military documents. Although no concrete evidence was found against him, Alfred Dreyfus was suspected of sending the letter and was prosecuted in a military court. Not only was there no evidence against him, in order to reach a verdict in the trial, the prosecution presented false evidence that had not been submitted to the defense. Dreyfus strongly rejected the charge of espionage, but the false evidence convinced the judges of his guilt and they ruled that he was guilty of treason. He was sentenced to life in prison on the Island of Demons off the coast of French Guiana.

After the conviction and imprisonment, there were quite a few people who tried to prove Dreyfus's innocence. The French public was deeply interested in the affair and even divided into two rival camps. With the accumulation of many suspicions about the falsification of evidence, a retrial of Dreyfus was held on August 8, 1899. In view of the harsh conditions in the prison, his physical and mental condition was already difficult and he was again found guilty. Due to "mitigating circumstances", was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Ten days later, he received a pardon from President Emil Luba and was released from prison.

It was only in 1906 that the court acquitted him of all charges and cleared his name, finally Dreyfus returned to the army as a major.
Promenade plantee
Promenade Plantee
#About the Promenade

If you are familiar with Manhattan's walkway, the "High Line", you will find a great resemblance to this charming promenade located in Paris.

The length of the "green corridor", the promenade of Paris, is 4.5 kilometers. Like that of New York, it was also built on the bridge of an abandoned 19th century railroad. The original railway line connected the Bastille to the suburbs. It ceased operating in 1969.

The promenade was designed by two architects: Jacques Wrzelli and Philip Matthew.

Pedestrians will enjoy the tall garden, surrounded by modern buildings. On the way you will find benches, small lawns, green trees and stunning views. Those who choose to go on the bike route will find special ways to get around at ground level.

#A Closer Look at the Promenade:



Palace de Versailles
Palace de Versailles
#The History of the Palace

In the city of Versailles, which is located 25 km south-west of Paris, stand the Palace and Gardens of Versailles, astounding relics of the royal times. If you thought to yourself, why would the kings of Paris want to distance themselves from the Parisian masses? The answer is that the transfer of the official royal residence from the Louvre Palace in Paris to the Versailles region was a calculated political move by Louis the 14th. The entire French aristocracy lived in Paris, and the palace in Versailles forced the nobles who wanted to approach the king and the government, to reach him, all the way in Versailles. To leave their businesses, their home and live in the kings house. King Louis basically wanted to move the place of power from Paris to Versailles.

Louis the 14th decided that he wanted to distance himself a little from crowded Paris and find himself a place outside the city. A few years prior, in 1624, a hunting hut was built for his father Louis the 13th in Versailles. Louis the 14th decided to hire an architect that would transform the hunting hut into a Luxurious Palace. The architect was Louis Le Vaux, who managed the Palace for 7 years through the manpower of thousands of workers who constructed the castle and gardens. In 1682, King Louis the 14th moved to the castle, a few years before it was completely finished.

However, the king did not settle only for his own move, he also invited the aristocrats and court officials to accompany him on his way to Versailles and gave them plots around the castle for free. Every aristocrat and court official had the follow two conditions: 1. They had to pay an annual tax to the king. 2. They cannot leave their plot empty, they have to build a house on it according to plans prepared by the king's architect. The construction plans have created a wonderfully planned city - built symmetrically and harmoniously.And of course, the rooftops of the new houses should not rise beyond the central height of the palace...

#The Abandoning of Versailles Palace

During the French Revolution, an angry mob from Paris attacked the Palace of Versailles and forced the royal family to leave and return to Paris. Thus began the mass abandonment of the city. The magnificent palace, many of whose furniture and decorations were destroyed or stolen, was abandoned and deserted. In 1837, King Louis Philippe saved the lousy palace, as he turned it into a national museum dedicated to "the glory of France."

#What is so Special about the Palace of Versailles?

The Palace of Versailles was most Luxurious palace of the French King Louis the 14th. He probably had big needs, considering that this palace, which is one kilometer long, has 700 rooms!

The palace showed all of Europe the power of the king and it was so fancy that all the European royal houses imitated the look of it. This did not prevent any king of the French line from adding another part to the palace, including an entire village built for Queen Marie Antoinette, to enjoy the country's rural quietness.

Life at the Palace of Versailles included ceremonies, the changing of clothes, and feasts. The king's nobles would come to the palace for a long time and most of it was devoted to fun, parties, banquets, concerts and sexual debauchery. Signs of this flamboyant lifestyle can be seen in the magnificent and ornate palace illustrating the lavish approach of the French kings in the 17th and 18th centuries. The palace is the clearest symbol of the gap between the magnificence and wealth of the monarchy in the face of the depression and poverty of the lower class. The fact that this luxurious palace is located outside of Paris symbolizes the detachment of the monarchy at the time and ultimately brought about the French Revolution.

The compound includes the main palace, the Trianon palaces, the Marie Antoinette mansion and beautiful gardens. The gardens feature stylish balconies, cut-out beds in classic French style, sculptures, fountains and a large canal where gondolas and boats sail.

Many important historic event were held in the Palace of Versailles such as the peace agreement at the end of World War 1, an agreement called "The Treaty of Versailles". As revenge, Hitler insisted, during the Second World War to return to the Palace, and sign a new agreement declaring the surrender of France to Nazi Germany.

#The Gardens of Versailles

French King Louis the 14th wanted in his most decorated palace beautiful gardens. The architect Andre La Notre, the most important landscape architect of France was hired for the job. Thousands of workers, gardeners and builders worked to create the extraordinary garden. Vast amounts of dirt and plants were brought for the job from all over Europe. That's how the Gardens of Versailles were designed in the 17th century and they became the most beautiful gardens in Europe.

The gardens founded on the east side of palace, spread over 8,000 acres of land. They contain an impressive combination of flower designs, plants cut in interesting shapes and sculptures, water canals, trees, pools with ornamental fish, magical water fountains, hundreds of art sculptures and more.

About 200,000 trees are planted in the Gardens of Versailles, with 210,000 flowers being planted annually. In the entrance of the garden you can rent a golf cart or buy tickets for a small train that take you around the yard. In order to see all the gardens and the more distant castles (the great Trianon, the small house and Marie Antoinette's village house) you must walk a very long distance, so there are also transportation solutions for those who desire. To whoever decides to walk in the gardens, you will occasionally find coffee and ice creams stands.

Naturally, during the winter the gardens do not bloom as much - many of the sculptures are covered by the rain, there are almost no flowers and the whole place has an atmosphere of renovation and maintenance. You can still enjoy the palaces and the special winter atmosphere, but of course the experience is not perfect.

Today, the Versailles Gardens are among the most famous gardens in the world. They are also popular tourist destinations in France and are considered a must-visit site for millions of tourists who visit France and visit them each year.

#The Palace of Versailles for Tourists

The Palace of Versailles is one of the most luxurious and beautiful places, and visiting in is a unique experience. It consists of four main sections: the main building, which is a classic structure with many elegant sides, two separate palaces and the fourth part, contains spacious gardens designed by a special garden architect - it is spectacular, with water fountains, ponds, meadows, trees, flowers, everything is green and astonishing.

In the summer, there are extremely long queues in the entrance to the palace, anyway, after visiting several rooms, you will be stunned by the amount of wealth displayed. Try not to miss the stunning "Hall of Mirrors" where the famous Versailles Treaty was signed in 1919 and the separate bedrooms of the King and Queen.

At the entrance to the palace take a map, because it is huge and includes a wide variety of buildings.

#Versailles Stories

If you take a guided tour in the palace, you will be told by the guides interesting stories. One of them is the story about the King's waking ceremony. Every morning the dignitaries of the court were invited to watch the king wake from his sleep. The room would fill with people, sometimes up to 100, and everyone would stand waiting for his eyes to open. If the king had not woken up by himself, one of his servants would wake him up as all the people around him watch his yawning, stretching, bathing and dressing. It was a prestigious ceremony to be invited to was considered a tremendous privilege to invitees.

#The Treaty of Versailles

Sometimes when you want peace, you might get war. This historic lesson was taught by the Second World War. This war, which would soon be the biggest and most deadly war in the history of mankind, broke out partially because of the Treaty of Versailles, the peace treaty that did not bring peace.

The Treaty of Versailles, which was signed in the palace you are standing in right now, in the impressive mirror room, was a treaty that was signed after the first world war, by the three sides that fought in it. It was no coincidence that this place was chosen, since this was the place where the coronation of the united German emperor took place in 1871.

The Treaty of Versailles laid the blame of "The Big War", World War I, on Germany and its allies. The treaty declared that responsibility for "all losses caused to the Allies and their friends, in the wake of the war imposed on them by the attack of Germany and its allies”.

Among the clauses of the treaty were huge compensation payments to the enemies of Germany, the transfer of many factories and territories from Germany to the victorious countries, the limitation of the strength of the German army, the dismantling of fortifications and the prohibition on building others, the destruction of weapons and submarines, and more.

The Treaty of Versailles and it's harsh clauses against Germany are considered to be the most significant elements in the rise of the Nazis to power in Germany and later in the outbreak of World War Two. One of the reasons was the chaos in Germany caused by the German economic collapse as a result of the heavy compensation payments Germany was required to pay. The improved fighting tactics developed by the German army due to the restrictions imposed on it by the agreement and the release of many of the worse officers in favor of the best officers who remained. But first and foremost, the feeling of humiliation that the Germans felt, caused them to believe that the people in the Nazi party will restore the honor lost in Versailles.

#A Closer Look:

Palais de Chaillot
Palais de Chaillot
#About the Palace

The Chaillot Palace, that replaced the old Trocadero Palace, is the building that represented France at the 1937 World Exhibition in Paris.

The Chaillot Palace, which consists of two separate parts with no connection between them, is characterised by two arms that look like a stretched arch from above. The structure was designed in the Strim Lane style, where the element of curvature is especially prominent. It was built by the architects Louis-Hippolyte Bauleau, Jacques Carlo and Leon Esme. The space between the two arms allows for a beautiful view of the Eiffel Tower, the Champ de Mars and the Seine.

The UN General Assembly adopted the Declaration on Human Rights here on December 10, 1948. The event was commemorated by a large stone monument in the square called the "Human Rights Promenade".

A fire that damaged the east side of the palace in 1997, brought it to a state of decay. However, with the years it became a paradise of architecture and construction. The place was redesigned and opened in March 2007 as the Museum of Architecture and Heritage, that tries to examine French architecture from the Middle Ages to the present.

On the east side of the palace you can find the Museum of French Statues, founded from the idea of the architect Viola-la-Duc. The exhibits are organized according to geographic regions and periods of times. This allows viewers to compare different styles and ideas.

Another institution in this side is the School of Architecture. It has an archive of 20th-century architecture and a place for higher education. You can also find here the National Theater of Chaillot..

#About the Museums Inside the Chaillot Palace

There are many interesting museums you can visit in the Chaillot Palace:

The Marine Museum - dedicated to the marine history of France. Here you can find different models of ships, antique maps and marine navigation equipment. The museum is located inside the Chaillot Palace.

The Museum of Man - a museum with ethnographic exhibits. It was founded in 1937 by Paul Riva for the World Art and Technology Exhibition of the Modern Era. The purpose of the compilation of collections under one roof was to present human development from the prehistoric period and the differences between the different cultures.

The Museum of Monuments - the museum presents the development of French architecture from the Middle Ages until today, you will find two galleries: one dedicated to architecture and the other to wall paintings and stained glass windows. The museum offers models, 3D screenings, stained glass windows, paintings, books and films.

The National Chaillot Palace - here you can find the best theatre performances in Paris. The theatre hosts many of the best and famous plays and contains 3 luxurious theaters of different sizes. It has from an intimate and small space to a huge theater. The entrance of the theater, The Grand Foyer, provides a beautiful view of the gardens, ponds and fountains of the Trocadero Gardens.

#The Trocadero Gardens

The Trocadero gardens contain a variety of statues, some very old. In the center of the gardens you can find the long and beautiful "Warsaw Fountain". They are divided into several levels decorated with sculptures. The is 93,930 square meters. In order to them from the Eiffel tower, you can cross the Pont d'Iéna bridge, which connects the two banks of the Seine.

The gardens were built as part of the original palace that was here before the Chaillot Palace. The original palace - the Trocadero Palace was named after the battle of Trocadero that took place in France in 1823.

The big gardens are open to the wide public and are suitable for a nice picnic in the summer. On the edge of the big square in the center of the gardens you will find a small café with delicious desserts.

At nightime the statues are illuminated and during the day it is nice to take pictures in the gardens with the Eiffel Tower in the background.

For the residents of Paris the gardens serve as a meeting place for "skateboarders". The square is regularly used for demonstrations, events and celebrations.

#A Closer Look:

Muse Guimet
Musée Guimet
#About the National Guimet Museum of Asian Art

The Guimet Museum is a small, high quality museum located in Daina Street in the 16th district of Paris along with its magnificent treasures. The museum is dedicated to Asian art and includes the largest Asian art collection in the world (outside of Asia itself). It contains 45,000 items, some 5,000 years old, from China, Japan, India, Laos, Nepal, Vietnam and other countries. In 1885 the museum moved from Toulouse to Paris. It was inaugurated in 1889.

The museum was founded in 1879 in the city of Lyon, France by the industrialist Emil Etienne Jima, who received a mission from the French Minister of Education to collect findings from the Far East. The museum presented the items collected in Jima's travels and included 20,000 Chinese pottery and 11,000 Japanese artworks, sculptures, jewelry, paintings of various drawing styles, as well as artifacts from ancient Egypt, ancient Greece and the Roman Empire.

The museum includes several sections, halls and rooms for permanent exhibitions, but also for temporary exhibitions.

In a separate part of the museum you can visit a pleasant Japanese garden with a small waterfall.

It is also worth visiting the wood paneled library on the top floor.

#A Closer Look at the Museum:

#The Birth and Renewal of the Most Famous Avenues in the World

The Avenue des Champs Elysées, also known as the "Avenue of the Fields" is one of Paris's main avenues, and one of the most famous streets in the world.

This avenue is one of the most prominent symbols of Paris. It is 2 kilometers long, and here you can find a lot of luxury and glamor. This is because of the palaces and luxury buildings in that are built along the avenue. The street begins at the Arc de Triomphe, and ends at the Place de la Concorde and is part of the "historic axis."

Although the avenue is very expensive, it is vibrant and full of tourists, who tour the area throughout the day. The avenue has been appointed a task force whose purpose is to maintain the area's prestige. Among the people who live here, the most famous tenant is the president of France, who lives in the Elysee Palace.

Champs-Elysées was not always as bright as today. During the 1980's the boulevard was neglected and abandoned by both business owners and tourists. Jacques Chirac, who was the mayor of Paris in the early 1990's, decided to do something and invest 36 million Euros in the dying boulevard. The architect Bernard Huatt and the designer Jean-Michel Wilmotte were brought in and asked to rebuild what was needed.

So what was actually done? The sidewalks extending from the Arc de Triomphe to the square in the middle of the avenue were re-paved with elegant granite stone. 55 benches were built especially for the boulevard, and placed down the street alongside matching designed lamps. New parking arrangements that made it easier for tourists to reach the area, and renovations of the metro, all contributed to the renewed atmosphere.

During the hard days of the avenue, criminal activities and violence were felt everywhere. During the years of rehabilitation, a reinforced police unit was placed on the avenue. The pickpockets and the bag grabbers were treated badly and the results were not long in coming - since 2000 the perpetrators have left the area and made room for tourists.

The biggest measure of the rehabilitation of the boulevard is the cost of rent per square meter in its real estate, which climbed to the second highest place in the world - 7,219 euros per square meter.

#The Avenue's Prestige

Properties around the famous boulevard have increased in value over the years. The real and inconceivable measure of this is the high cost of rent per square meter that climbed to the second place in the world - 7,219 euros per square meter. This huge tariff causes businesses that cannot survive these prices to give up their spot in the prestigious location. In recent decades, 10 theaters have closed, the old travel agency of Air France has also given way. In their place, a huge Louis Vuitton shop, Zara, Benton and a Cartier jewelry store leased a 650 square meter property at the foot of the Arc de Triomphe.

The legendary Publicis drug store underwent a massive renovation and a new luxury hotel came into the picture. The old Phuket's Restaurant (1901) acquired the four buildings around it to build the hotel - the new palace of Paris, right in the center of the avenue.

#Shopping at the Champs-Elysées

The famous Avenue des Champs-Elysées is one of Paris's largest shopping areas. It offers dozens of beautiful luxury shops, brand stores and high fashion alongside more popular chains, souvenir shops and more. It is one of the most important avenues to visit during a visit to Paris, along with dozens of restaurants and cafes that will enhance your Parisian feeling.

You will find it exclusive stores of important fashion designers, names known as Cartier, Hugo Boss or Louis Vuitton. The prices of these luxury stores are particularly high, but you also have more affordable and accessible options in the well-known clothing chains around the world, such as the famous H & M. At the boulevard you will also find the flagship store of Paris, known as Sephora.

On the boulevard you will also find Disney's famous toy store and you can jump to the fabulous candy store "Laduree". We recommend you to taste the wonderful macarons they make there and even pack some home to give as a gift.

#A Closer Look at the Avenue:


Muse du quai Branly
Musée du quai Branly
#About the Museum of Ethnography and Culture of Africa, Asia, Oceania and America

The Quai Branly Museum is a museum of ethnography and culture of Africa, Asia, Oceania and America located on Branly Street, in the 7th district of Paris, near the Eiffel Tower. The museum is named after the street where it is located, which is named after the French physicist Edouard Branly.

The Quai Branly Museum opened on June 23, 2006, after a special committee, set up by French President Jacques Chirac, decided that the area adjacent to the Eiffel Tower would be used by the museum.

The museum's display includes about 267,000 exhibits, of which only about 3,500 are presented to the general public, with the exhibitions occasionally changing. It presents the collections transferred from the National Museum of African and Oceanian Art (now closed) as well as collections from the Anthropology Department of the nearby Man Museum. In addition, the museum exhibits many works by contemporary Australian Aboriginal artists.

The building was designed by the renowned architect Jean Nouvel. It is like a huge bridge surrounded by a garden that includes 178 types of trees, including maple, cherry trees and magnolia. On the southwestern side of the building is a "living wall" 200 meters long and 12 meters high, designed by Gil Kalman and Patrick Blank. The wall contains watering systems that allow the plants to grow all the time.

The museum complex includes the museum building, which stands on pillars on the second floor, and the museum garden below which is located below it on the first floor.

#The Displays in the Museum

The Quai Branly Museum, which was founded in 2006 by French President Jacques Chirac, is dedicated to tribal art and includes 300,000 exhibits from Asia, Africa, Oceania and America.
The construction of the museum took 11 years and cost 285 million dollars.

Museum architect Jean Nouvel explained that his goal was to create a kind of nature reserve for tribal art collections. 3,500 items will be displayed regularly in the museum and arranged in a circular manner. Many of the exhibits are in France because of its colonial past, and some fear that their renewed exposure to the public will reignite the debate over the right of the French to hold these exhibits, rather than their countries of origin. Also, exhibits from other museums in favor of the Quai Branly Museum and there is concern for the relevance of others. One museum has already been closed due to the change.

Among the thousands of items on display are objects from Papua New Guinea, masks from Africa, Amazonian headdresses, embroidered garments from Vietnam and bridal jewelry from the Middle East. The museum's tall space also features a 14-foot Indian tumbler and a glass tower where some of the museum's musical instruments are displayed.

Chirac admitted that he hoped that one day the name of the museum would be renamed and named after him, however it is still called the Quai Branly Museum.

#The Museum's Green Wall

Are you standing in front of a vertically and impressive garden? You are probably facing the green wall of the Quai Branly Museum.

The building causes the people passing by to look at it in amazement at the façade that is full of plants - from top to bottom.

The wall was built by Patrick Blanc, a French botanist and scientist who has been planting gardens on walls since 1994 and this wall is his most famous work. He is one of the pioneers in this field and he has developed a system that allows vertical gardens to grow almost everywhere - inside a building with the help of artificial lighting, on the exterior walls of buildings(even without a supporting wall). This is because the system is very light and weighs no more than 30 kg per meter, and also the wall is built of a metal infrastructure, a PVC surface and fabric, with mosses, ferns, ivy and other pre-selected plants, so that it creates a live and impressive 3 dimensional carpet.

Patrick Blanc's vertical gardens have been built in at least 18 sites around the world and are proof that even under imperfect conditions (on the facade of buildings facing busy streets in a city), impressive and captivating vegetation can develop.

The wall has 15,000 plants from 150 different species.

The gardens inside the museum are also impressive, but the overall interior design has been criticized by architects who claim that the dominant design takes all the attention out of the exhibits.

#A Closer Look at Some of the Museum's Exhibits:

Champ de Mars
#About the Park

"Champ de Mars" is one of the city's most green and beautiful places. The "Champ de Mars", the bigger park in the 7th district of Paris, has a very special use - it's a field for parades and training of the École Militaire (military school), named after the Mars Field in Rome. In the past popular holidays and some exhibitions were held here. The park is located between the Seine River and the Ecole Militaire Military School Complex. At the western end of the park is the Eiffel Tower. The park is 780 meters long and 200 meters wide.

Many of the most important and significant events in French history took place there: On July 14, 1790, the "Pieter de la Pedersion" events took place there during the French Revolution, and on July 17, 1791 a massacre was carried out there against French monarchs who called for the overthrow of the King , Louis 16th.

The park hosted many renowned exhibits, such as: the Paris World Exposition in 1867, the Paris World Exposition in 1889, the Paris World Exposition in 1937 and the colonial exhibitions designed to present the colonies of the French colonial empire.

It's quite amazing that under the nose of one of the world's most famous places, the Eiffel Tower, there are 780 meters of quiet green gardens that allow you to stretch out on their lawns in total peace. The place is used by the Parisians to rest on sunny days and allows tourists to see the tower's strength in the background. Buy yourselves baguettes and croissants, doesn't matter from where, then just lie back on the grass and enjoy the moment.

#The Paris World Exposition

The "Champ de Mars" park you are standing in at this moment has hosted several important expositions in Paris. One of the largest and most important exposition is the Paris World Exposition which took place in 1889. This exposition still servers as a turning point in Parisian history, because the Eiffel Tower was built in its honor.

The exhibition was held in honour of the 100th anniversary of the French Revolution and was visited by more than 6.3 million visitors. Half of them were French.

The exhibit featured a number of fields to a large audience for the first time: plastic art, music from South America and the Far East. It has revealed modern trends in art such as symbolism and post-impressionism. This exhibition also presented African natives imprisoned in a human zoo, an artistic performance which purpose is to raise awareness of the differences between people. In addition, the "Machinery Gallery" building was established, which presents inventions and innovations in the field of technology.

The Eiffel Tower served as the exhibitions gate, but since its construction was not over, the visitors were only allowed to climb up to the second floor.

The exhibitions area was about 1 square kilometer and spread across the Champs de Mars, the Trocadéro, the banks of the Seine and the Invalides. In order to travel around the exhibition, the visitors used a small train on a 3 km track, which was set up for transportation.

#Art in the Form of a Human Zoo

In one the most important exhibitions held in this place, the Paris World Exposition in 1889, an interesting, perhaps even slightly disturbing, artistic performance was presented.

African kids imprisoned in a human zoo were presented to a wide audience. The human zoos displayed human children (ethnic groups defined as natural and primal populations in a particular place). Most of the children were African, Native American, Inuit and Asian. The purpose of the displays was to emphasize the "inferior" nature of the natives and the difference between them and the Europeans from Western culture. Ethnographic zoos were generally based on scientific racism and social Darwinism.

One of the main attractions of the Paris World Exposition was the "Negro Village", which was the human zoo that displayed 400 children in a grand show, presenting their authentic lives to the public. The attraction was visited by 28 million people.

#A Closer Look at the Champ de Mars:

Grand Palais
#About the Grand Palais - The Largest Glass and Metal Structure in the World

The Grand Palais and the Petit Palais, also known as the National Gallery, are located in central Paris close to the Champs Elysées and the Seine.

These buildings were built at the end of the 19th century for the Paris International Exposition in 1900, the same one for which the Eiffel Tower was built. This world exhibition was designed to sum up the 19th century and celebrate the opening of the 20th century in the center of the "Belle Epoque" period (The Golden Age of Europe, that was created thanks to the peace that prevailed at the time between the powerful countries, it brought prosperity and growth in the fields of science, and also for a significant improvement in quality of life). At that time, the exhibition was the largest ever to exist and included 50,000 visitors. The exhibition covered 1,120 dunams.

Within the framework of the magnificent buildings that were created for the exhibition, we can also find the Grand Palais and the Petit Palais.

In the beginning, the Museum of French Art was dedicated to the traditional Parisian art galleries - the French Artists' Salon and the Spring Salon. Here the works of Renoir, Cezanne, Matisse and others were first exhibited. The first works of cubism were also exhibited in the museums space for the first time. The museum has three different halls, each with its own entrance. The largest art exhibitions in Paris are held here.

In the main gallery you can see exhibitions of modern art, fashion exhibitions of the biggest designers, and exhibitions of antiques. Among the important collections of the place are the famous bronze sculptures, sculptures from the Greek and Roman period and ivory and jewelry from the French Renaissance period.

Today, the museum includes various galleries, displaying alternating exhibitions of modern and contemporary art in various fields: art, fashion, photography, music, dance, cinema, theater and even sports. The exhibitions are considered very high quality and present significant works in the world of modern art.

#The Architecture of the Grand Palais

The building is an impressive combination of classic stone work alongside iron and glass work in an Art Nouveau style. Thanks to its magnificent beauty and the title it received as the world's largest glass and iron structure, the Grand Palais is one of the most famous buildings in Paris. At its center you will find its impressive glass dome, built by three different architects.

Alexander the 3rd's Gate is also part of the complex of these buildings and continues their design line.

In 2006 the Grand Palais and its twin palace (Petit Palais) underwent serious renovations. As part of the renovations, the foundations of the showroom, made entirely of steel and glass, were reinforced. If we raised the issue of glass, it is interesting to know that since 1993 the building was closed after a metal screw that fell from the ceiling from a height of 35 meters plunged into the display case. A showcase in the Grand Palais is an dome in Art Nouveau style made up of 9370 tons of green steel.

#The Grand Palais In Times of War

During the First World War, the Grand Palais served as a military hospital, the employed local artists who were concentrated in the front area of the hospital rooms, so that they could create molds for prosthetic limbs for the wounded.

During the Second World War, during the occupation of France, the Nazis used the Grand Palais - initially as a warehouse for trucks and then as a place of exhibition for Nazi propaganda exhibitions.

The Parisian Resistance used the Grand Palais as its headquarters during the struggle to liberate Paris. On August 23, 1944, shots were fired from one of its windows at a German row advancing on the next street. The Germans returned fire with tanks to the palace and the shells set fire to a pile of hay from a building set up for a circus show. Thick black smoke had engulfed in the fire that burned for the next 48 hours and caused serious damage to the structure. On August 26, American jeeps parked in the main hall, followed by tanks from the 2nd French Armored Division, marked the completion of the palace's liberation.

#A Closer Look at the Grand Palais:

Petit Palais
#About the Petit Palais - The Parisian Museum of French Art

The two buildings that house the Parisian Museum of French Art, the Petit and Grand Palais, were built at the end of the 19th century for the Paris International Exposition in 1900, the same one for which the Eiffel Tower was built. This world exhibition was designed to sum up the 19th century and celebrate the opening of the 20th century in the center of the "Belle Epoque" period (The Golden Age of Europe, that was created thanks to the peace that prevailed at the time between the powerful countries, it brought prosperity and growth in the fields of science, and also for a significant improvement in quality of life). At that time, the exhibition was the largest ever to exist and included 50,000 visitors. The exhibition covered 1,120 dunams.

Within the framework of the magnificent buildings that were created for the exhibition, we can also find the Grand Palais and the Petit Palais.

Today, the Petit Palais serves as the Parisian Museum of French Art. The permanent collection includes paintings from the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, 18th-century furniture and the official city of Paris painting collection (including works by Rembrandt, Delacroix, Monet, Pissarro, Modigliani, etc.). There were several impressive collections in the palace, including ancient Egyptian and Greek sculptures, Renaissance painting art, china and furniture, medieval books, and more.

A small staircase with glass doors and gold decorations leads visitors in the palace to a collection of classical French art. After a short walk around the museums inside and underground section, visitors will be able to go to the inner courtyard that has the glass dome, Greek columns, golden angel statues, special plants and a cute cafe. In the courtyard, which is shaped like a half moon, the gardeners have re-planted different kinds of palm trees that have existed there since the early years of the 20th century.

Entrance to the permanent exhibition is free and entrance to the changing exhibitions has a fee.

#The Architecture of the Petit Palais

At first glance of the Petit Palais, one might think that the building was once home to elegant and royal aristocrats. But in fact, it was built in 1900 in honor of the Parisian Universal Fair, just like its neighbor, the "Grand Palais". Both buildings have always served as museums. The Petit Palais, the smaller palace (which, by the way, is not really small, only in relation to the huge palace opposite of it), is located between the Seine and the Champs-Elysées. It is a delicate and beautiful structure that displays French art.

The building was designed by Charles Girou in the Art Nouveau style, and in its center is a flowering garden with a blue fish pond and gold decorations. The painted ceilings, the magnificent mosaic floors, the huge windows, the golden gates and the beautiful patio were designed solely for displaying art for the people, it is simply amazing.

The small palace also serves as a fine display of architecture - the front door is full of thin, complex gold designs and invites visitors to enter the large marble lobby, with huge windows and sparkling chandeliers. It is set in a vaulted structure of gilded iron and Italian mosaic. Inside is the Museum of Fine Arts, you can find the permanent creations of Delacroix and Corbé. The renovation restored the exterior of the stone from which the palace was built and revived its original white color; In addition, the ceiling panels were renovated in bright blue, depicting motifs of beauty, thought, mysticism and matter.

#A Closer Look at the Petit Palais:

Montmartre Cemetery
#About the Cemetery

Ever since 1726, the construction of a cemetery in Paris was prohibited for health reasons. As a result of the prohibition, cemeteries began to develop on the outskirts of the city, one of them on the Montmartre Hill, which was then located north of the city.

The definition of Montmartre is "the mountain of martyrs". The place was named because of the belief that holy saints were executed on this hill, including Saint Denis in the year 272.

The area has famous and fascinating history. Over the centuries it has been transformed from a small village with vineyards and flour mills to the bohemian center of the greatest Parisian painters and artists of the 19th century. These artists lived a life of creativity and festivity in the streets. Although most of the charm of the hill has been lost over the years, and is now a very touristy area, you can still find in Montmartre parts that will help you imagine the crazy past of the place. This is one of the ”mandatory places” that you should visit on a trip to Paris, and it is recommended to spend about half a day here.

The cemetery of Montmartre reminds us a bit of the huge cemetery in Pere Lachaise: it is large and many famous people are buried there, among them the painter Edgar Degas, the filmmaker Francois Truffaut and the famous writer Emil Zola.

Among the tombstones you can see good-hearted French youth who have come to relax and enjoy the changing weather and history that prevails here in every corner and every grave.

#A Closer Look:

Hôtel des Invalides
#About The Compound

One of the most famous places in France is the Invalides. It was built at the initiative of King Louis the 14th as a hospital ("Utel des Invalides"), which was designed to provide shelter and care for his 7,000 soldiers who suffered from disabilities, old age or other defects. This was a rare and admirable act, given that at the same time governments didn't take responsibility for the damage caused to soldiers by the wars they were sent to fight in. At the time 6,000 soldiers wounded by the wars of France lived there. Many don't know that to this day there are some discharged soldiers who stay at this compound and receive dedicated treatment and care. The compound is located in the 7th district of Paris, on the left bank of the city. Today this place is used as a national museum and sometimes it is used for military purposes. In 1789 weapons were stolen from the Invalides cellars and were used to liberate Bastille in the French revolution.

In the plaza of the Invalides, the ranks of Alfred Dreyfus were revoked after he was convicted of espionage, an act that is completely anti-Semitic.. A few years later, after he was exonerated, they were returned to him here again.

The Saint Louis Chapel contains the tombs of Napoleon's brothers and of the French army ministers.


The construction of the Invalid complex was completed within five years from 1671-1676. The Golden Dome, which actually belongs to the Church of San Luis, is made of six kilograms of gold. The architect used a style considered in France to be a typical style of the Jesuits (the members of the Order of Jesus) and derived the the original idea from the first Jesuit church built in Rome. However, he also used classical elements which made his style identify with Paris. There are 6 tombs under the golden dome, containing the body of Napoleon which was returned to Paris from St. Helena in 1840. In the year 1861 at an official state funeral in the Dom Church, Napoleon was buried.

#What's in the Compound?

The front of the compound is decorated with statues of the gods of war and wisdom - Mars and Minerva sculpted by Guillaume Coustou. On the gable (The triangle on the facade of the building), you can see another statue of Cousteau the 14th riding on his horse.

You can find 4 museums: the Museum of Contemporary History, Museum of Models, Military Museum (in which you can find the uniform, armour and other belongings of Napoleon) and the Museum of Order and Liberation. Furthermore, it contains two churches: the Church of Saint Louis des Invalides and the Church of the Dom. The compound also has some important national institutions of France: the National Assembly and government offices.

There is a promenade inside the compound, covered with lawns and trees.

#What Happened Here?

One of the events that took place here was in 1894, when the ranks of Alfred Dreyfus were revoked in a humiliating ceremony at the front of the main building. Dreyfus was charged with spying for Germany and after being convicted, without any connection to reality, a ceremony was held here to revoke his ranks.

Years later, after a public struggle for a retrial, after a subsequent conviction and then a pardon and an exoneration in 1906, a different ceremony was held here, in which Dreyfus's ranks were returned to him.

#About the Museums in the Compound

There are several important museums in the Invalides:

The Military Museum (Musée historique de l'Armée) - The museum that was founded in the mid 19th century began as an artillery museum. As the years past, it combined with the Military museum and today it displays historic weapons, uniforms, armor, decorations of the French army and more. The museum is spread over a huge area of about 12 thousand square meters and includes a large and impressive garden. The chronological order enables a comprehensive and profound view of the wars France took part in, using historical information, videos, pictures, paintings and hundreds of thousands of military exhibits that illustrate the nature of the period. The floors about the First and Second World Wars are fascinating and recommended.

The Museum of Models (Musée des Plans-Reliefs) - relief maps and 3D models of French cities, were designed to teach how to attack and defend cities if a war were to break. These models were built for the use of Louis the 14th so he could prepare attack and defence tactics for the army during combat. More than 100 models were built by the best engineers and architects of Paris and they were kept and preserved for hundreds of years. In the 18th century they wanted to get rid of them, but the models were preserved and moved to an area in which they are still kept today. During his reign, Napoleon ordered a few more models. The museum is open to the general public since 1943 and is a historical testimony to the appearance of France in the old days.

The Museum of Order and Liberation (Musée de l'Ordre de la Libération) - "The Order of Liberation" was founded by Charles de Gaulle in the 40's of the 20th century and he led "Free France" and the rebellion of the Nazi occupation. "The Order of Liberation" is the second most important order in France. The museum includes many exhibits from World War 2, members of the Orders weapons and historic documentation of the actions of "The Order of Liberation".

#A Closer Look:


#Napoleon's grave:


#An Outside View:

Musée de l'Armée
#About the Museum

The Military Museum, which surveys the military history of France, is one of the biggest museums of its kind in the world. The museum is located in the "Invalides Palace" in the seventh district of the Paris, the capital of France. It was established in 1896, and in 1905 was combined with the Museum of Artillery (A Museum that was established a short time after the defeat in the Franco-Prussian war). This merge created the Military Museum we see today.

The museum holds more than 500,000 exhibits, such as weapons, armour, artillery, uniforms, decorations, paintings and sculptors which are displayed on an area of about 12,000 square meters. In the showrooms you can see military flags, dolls of soldiers and cavalry with their uniforms and weapons from various historic periods. Children who love cannons and knight armour will find it very fascinating here.

The museum is divided into two sides: The western side on the first floor displays weapons and equipment from China, Japan, India and Turkey. On the second floor you can view items from the 14th-18th century, and on the third floor you can see artillery. The eastern side contains displays from the days of Louis the 16th until the days of the Napoleon the third (floors two and three). Every floor is divided into rooms that showcase a different period of military and general French history, especially from the Stone Age until the Second World War. Between the two sides lies the Soldiers Church, which is part of the "Dom".

The museum also contains a detailed remake of Napoleon's private room from his house on the island of St. Helena, the same room in which he past away in 1821. By the way, in 2005, the museum celebrated its 100th anniversary at the inauguration of the renovated western side.

#The Invalides

This compound is located in the 7th district of Paris and is a famous complex with buildings and museums that are about the military history of France. There you can find the Military Museum, the luxurious grave of Napoleon in the Church of Dom, a shelter for the crippled and wounded from the wars of the 17th century, Model Museum, Museum of Order and Liberation and the Church of Saint Louis-de-Invalides. With one ticket you can visit all these places.

The compound was built in 1671, after the orders of king Louis the 14th. At the time, the government didn't take responsibility for damages that the wars caused to their soldiers that were sent to fight. In an extraordinary move the king decided to establish a compound for the disabled and wounded - a remarkable act worth mentioning. At the time the compound was called "The House of the Disabled" and sometimes there were more than 5,000 soldiers there. In fact, till this day discharged soldiers live there.

The churches in the complex were also added during the reign of the king, who decided that a chapel would serve as a place of worship for the soldiers (the Church of Saint-Louis-de-Invalide) and a private royal chapel (the Dom Church).

#A Closer Look:

Moulin Rouge
#About the Club Moulin Rouge

Beside one of Montmartre's wind stations, lies a club with a red windmill emblem. Moulin Rouge has been one of the most important attractions in Paris for many years. This place quickly became known and very important people came to it. The Moulin Rouge is located in the 18th district of Paris and offer circus shows with animals, snakes, dogs and of course impressive and fascinating dances. In this place you can also eat dinner and drink champagne.

The Moulin Rouge was built by two activists who wanted to characterize the place for the upper class population so they could reach the fashionable district in 1889. The place was bold and sexual, offering champagne, food and provocative dancing. This was probably a winning recipe because the place almost immediately became a huge success. Over the years, the Moulin Rouge not only attracted the upper class, but also businessmen, artist, working class, foreigners and impressive women. Everyone came here to see and be seen.

At the time the club was opening, Paris was under the impetus of renewal, change, industrial and social progress, and its opening was a record for it's time.

The outdoor scenery, the famous windmill, has become the inspiration and theme for many painters creations, pictures and posters, which are popular to this day. The Moulin Rouge became the symbol of Parisian bohemianism.

Before entering the club we would recommend you take a walk around the area, the streets are beautiful and the atmosphere is magical.

#The Can Can Dance

The Moulin Rouge is also known as the birthplace of the Can Can Dance. This is a difficult and demanding dance, originating in France in the early 19th century. It is performed by a number of female dancers who dance next to each other in a line, dressed in long stockings, and skirts with many layers. From time to time, the dancers will lift their skirts in a provocative way, so that part of their leg is exposed. Due to this act, the dance was considered obscene and immoral and was given the name of a prostitute dance.

In the beginning, the Can Can dance was a done in pairs of men and women, however it gradually became a show dance performed to an audience - just like a performance in night clubs and brothels. Over the years, the dancers added elements of acrobatics, shouts and gestures, such as lifting the skirt up to the top of the head, kicks, jumps, and more.

The dance gained a lot of popularity and later gave birth to the cabaret.

#A Closer Look:

Église du Dôme
#About the Church

The Dome Church, the burial place of Napoleon, is part of the Invalides, the center of a number of historical sites, located in the 7th district of Paris.

The church was built in 1706, at the order of King Louis the 14th. It is located in the southern part of the Invalides and has a very impressive gold dome (called "The Dome"), surrounded by neoclassical style pillars.

Napoleon's burial story is fascinating. He died in 1821 and was buried on the island of St. Helena to which he was exiled. 19 years later, after his body was brought to Paris by a war ship, a grand and royal funeral was held in his honor in the Arc de Triomphe, through the Champs-Élysées and the Concorde Square to Saint Jerome Church, where he was buried for another period of time. After twenty-one years of rest, his body was transferred to a permanent residence under the Dome of the Rock in 1861, more than 40 years after his death.

Even the luxurious Dome Church does not fall short of Napoleon's standards. The elegant chapel features decorated marble pillars, a large golden dome with magnificent paintings, mosaics and sculptures. Napoleon's son and brother are also buried on the ground floor of the church. In order to see the grave on the lower floor properly, you have to reach the porch on the ground floor. Napoleon is buried in a large green granite coffin in the center of the Crypt. Inside the grave there are 6 coffins placed inside each other (just like a babushka) and are made of different materials (metal, mahogany, lead, birch and oak). Around the coffin stand 12 marble pillars sculpted in the form of the goddess of victory, symbolizing Napoleon's twelve most important victories.

In 1989, during the 200th anniversary of the French Revolution, the dome was re-coated with gold. The the coating used 550 thousand gold leaves (more than 9 kg!)

#About Napoleon

Napoleon Bonaparte, buried right here in the Dome Church, is Napoleon the 1st, the Emperor of France. He was the most famous general in the history of France and one of the greatest generals of all time. During his time France became an occupying empire and only one step stood between it and the control over most of Europe. There was even a stage in which he went to the Middle East, with the aim of conquering the Far East. By the way, the place where he was arrested was the city of Acre...

Napoleon first came to power in a coup, after a brilliant career as a successful military man. Even as the French ruler, he proved to have amazing organizational abilities, charisma and he was a wise leader. He established his rule in France and put order in disordered France after the French Revolution.

However, he then set out to conquer Europe and even proclaimed himself as Emperor of France. His fate changed when in the harsh Russian winter he was forced to retreat, defeated for the first time and lost most of his army. A coalition of all the countries that opposed him defeated him and exiled him to the Elba, a tiny island where he was allowed to rule. Thus Napoleon the Great, almost ruler of the world, became the ruler of a tiny island in Tuscany. But like a real Bonaparte, he improved the island beyond recognition and to this day the local residents thank him for it.

A few years later, when he realized that the reign of the monarchy in France had weakened, Bonaparte fled the island and returned to rule France. But his rule was short and lasted only as long as this period is called "the period of one hundred days", because Bonaparte went to defend his rule against the anti-Napoleonic European coalition forces, which refused to accept his return and organized against him. Again he won here and won there, until the decisive battle came to which the forces united against him. This time he encountered an equally impressive military genius, the British Duke of Wellington. This time the enemy did not allow him to separate the armies, as he had always done so well. In a coordinated fashion, while capturing successful positions, the forces waited for the French army and defeated it. Even the weather was against him this time, and the mud made it difficult for French troops to advance against the fortifications of the English. In Battle of Waterloo Napoleon Bonaparte was finally defeated and left the stage of history.

This was the end of the glorious and arrogant career of the man who did not stop for a moment until history stopped him. Again, but this time for good, Napoleon was exiled, this time on the isolated island of St. Helena. He lived on this small island until his death, and he wasn't even 52 years old.

Despite his fall and failures, the French remember him in his greatness.

#The Journey of Napoleon's Burial

Napoleon is buried in the Dome Church, located in the Invalides. But the ceremony of him being brought to burial is no less interesting than the grave that is there today. In 1840, after seven years of negotiations with the British, the French were able to obtain permission to return Napoleon's body from the island of St. Helena to France.

And so, 19 years after he died, the French opened Napoleons coffin for two minutes to make sure his body was indeed there. Everyone who attended the opening ceremony testified that the body was kept in excellent condition. After the examination, they put the coffin aboard the French ship La Belle Poule, which brought the body to the port of La Haber. From there they brought the coffin along the Seine River and on December 15, 1840, a state funeral was held for Napoleon.

The funeral journey began from the Arc de Triomphe, through the Avenue des Champs-Elysées and the Place de la Concorde, to the Church of Saint Jerome, despite having a severe storm that day. The body was buried there, in this church, for 21 years, until it was brought here, to the Invalides, the place that would become its permanent residence. The corpse was finally buried in a crypt under the dome.

Beneath the gold dome of the Dome Church, stands a stone container used as a coffin and is called sarcophagus. It is set in the center of a marble floor shaped as a star. Inside the sarcophagus, Napoleon is buried in no less than six coffins, placed one inside of the other: the first and the most interior one is made of metal; the second is made of mahogany, the third and the fourth are made of lead, the fifth is made of birch wood and the sixth is made of oak. Inside the deepest coffin lies Napoleon's body, dressed in full cavalry.

Around the coffin stand 12 marble pillars, carved in the form of the goddess of victory. The pillars symbolize Napoleon's 12 most important victories. The walls are decorated with niches with wall reliefs depicting some of the ruler's actions.

In addition to Napoleon, his son and both his brothers are buried there.

#A Closer Look at the Church and Napoleon's grave:


Place de la Concorde
#What's in the Square?

The Place de la Concorde is the largest and most impressive square in Paris, measuring at 84,000 square meters. During the Revolution, the guillotine was placed in the center decapitated more than 1,000 heads, among them nobles and many important people.

Today in the center of the square stands the Egyptian Obelisk of Luxor. It is 23 meters tall and weighs 255 tons. There are also two beautiful fountains in the square, their design was copied from St. Peter's Square in the Vatican in Rome. The theme of the first fountain is sailing in the sea and the other - sailing in rivers. In both of them you will find statues of golden idols and water nymphs.

At the four corners of the square are eight sculptures of female characters, symbolizing the eight important cities of France: Marseilles, Bordeaux, Nantes, Brest, Rouen, Lille, Strasbourg and Lyon.

On the northeastern edge of the square is the United States Embassy (west of the Kryon hotel). You can also find the Madeleine Church here, alongside the International Automobile Federation, which sets the rules for car races around the world, including the Formula 1 race.

The center of the square is a wonderful observation point on the area.

#The Origin of the Square's Name

The name of the square today is the Square of Agreement, but until that name was given to it, the square underwent several incarnations of names.

The first name was "Place Louis the 15th", since it was established in the days of... well yes. Louis the 15th. He wanted to put a statue of him on a horse in the middle of it. Of course the reason for this was to glorify the king's name and honor.

As soon as the French Revolution broke out, the revolutionaries saw the square as the place to put a guillotine for the decapitation of important people and nobles - kings such as like Louis the 16th, Queen Marie Antoinette, and so on. The statue of Louis the 15th was smashed to pieces and the square became the "Place de la Révolution".

After the period of decapitation ended, the name of the square changed again - this time to the "Square of Agreement". The guillotine was removed and replaced with the Egyptian obelisk.

#About the Egyptian Obelisk in the Heart of the Square

Today the center of the square stands the Egyptian Luxor Obelisk. This is a 3300 year old pillar, that describes the victories of Ramesses the 2nd. The pillar is 23 meters high.

The obelisk was given to France as a gift by the Egyptian governor Muhammad Ali and it took five years until they managed to transfer it from the ruins of an ancient Egyptian temple in Luxor to the Place de la Concorde. The obelisk was only properly placed in 1836, after a complicated and complex procedure whose description was immortalized on his base - where the many mechanical means used to bring the obelisk to the square, weighing 255 tons, are described.

In 1998 the French government added a small golden pyramid to the head to complete the missing upper part (that was probably stolen in Egypt).

In ancient Egyptian mythology, the obelisk symbolizes the god of sun, because as a result of its height it is the first structure on which the sun falls and attests to the coming of the day.

In 2000 a French climber made history in the square. His name is Alan Robert and he climbed to the top of the obelisk using only with his hands and feet.

#A Closer Look at the Square:

La Madeleine
#About the Church

The Madeleine Church is located in Madeleine Square in the eighth district of Paris. The church is a classic example of neoclassical style and looks like an enormous Greek temple thanks to its eight-pillar gate (portico).

The construction of the church took 85 years. This was due to the political unrest in France at the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century. The political upheaval of the period, including the French Revolution, brought about many changes in the location and building plans of the building.

Today in the church there are concerts for music lovers, there are weekly masses and it is one of the most popular today, especially for couples who want to get married in a fancy ceremony. If you arrive at the right time and day, you will have a spectacular experience, because there is a hidden competition between the couples about who will produce a more fashionable and luxurious wedding.

#The Construction Story of the Madeleine Church

The construction story of this church is complicated: construction began and ended twice. Only on the third time they managed to finish the project.

It was first built in 1764. It was supposed to be a replica of the church in the Invalides, but the architect who was in charge of the mission died in the middle of construction and as a result the construction was halted.

In 1777, the new architect destroyed what his predecessor had built and began to build again, this time as a copy of the Pantheon. With the outbreak of the French Revolution, the work was halted again. The revolutionaries did not see the need for another church and therefore proposals were made to change the purpose of the building - a library, a dance hall or an indoor market, but despite the proposals, nothing was actually done.

In 1806 Napoleon appointed a new architect, who would build a hall of fame, "a temple for the glory of the mighty army" at his request. The new architect destroyed the building for a third time and decided to go for a classic style, based on a model of an ancient Greek temple. It soon became apparent that the construction of the Arc de Triomphe, whose purpose was identical, eliminated the need for a church. Construction was stopped again. Years passed and this architect has also died - when the building is still not finished.

It was not until 1842 that it was decided to complete the construction. 52 pillars each 20 meters tall glorify it today. Around it and its bronze doors are carved scenes of the Ten Commandments. One of the best organs of Paris is set up in the church.

#A Closer Look at the Church:

Musée Rodin
#Rodin Museums History

The Rodin Museum is housed in a beautiful 18th century palace called Hotel Biron. The palace was built in 1731 as a luxurious residence of a wealthy barber and sought to establish for himself the most beautiful house in Paris at that time. After the death of the original owner, the palace changed several ownerships until, in 1905, when the palace was purchased by the French government and divided into several luxury and expensive housing units.

The unique design of the palace and the magnificent gardens surrounding it attracted various artists such as Henri Matisse, and in 1908 the sculptor Auguste Rodin rented part of the ground floor of the palace to store his works. In the rooms he rented he used as a studio, where he worked and entertained his many friends. At the same time, Rodin began talking the French government to fulfil his life's goal: to turn the palace into a museum dedicated to his works.

In 1916, as part of an agreement to establish the museum, Rodin donated all his works, sculptures and paintings, photographs and archives, as well as the private collections he had accumulated over the years. But Rodin did not live to see his dream come true - he died in 1917, while the museum opened its doors to the general public only two years later.

#What's at the Museum

In the 17 galleries of the palace, and in the nearby sculpture garden, you can see the famous works of Auguste Rodin, among them also those that have earned him great fame such as "The Thinker", "The Bourgeois of Calais" and more. Alongside Rodin's works are the works of Camille Claudel, who was his student and his beloved and a gifted sculptor, and works by other artists such as Van Gogh, Renoir, Monet and Monk.

One of Rodin's famous sculptures, the "Bronze Age", caused great rage when it was first shown in 1877. It was a statue of a naked man who looked so natural and real that the artist was accused of casting him on a living human model. After it became clear that the accusations had no basis, the rage was replaced with great admiration, and Rodin was regarded as one of the greatest sculptors in the world.

Another famous sculpture, perhaps the artist's most famous sculpture, is the statue of "The Thinker" - a self contained human figure, who rests his head on his hand in a 'thinking' pose. This sculpture was part of a comprehensive work by Rodin, "The Gates of the Underworld" inspired by Dante's Divine Comedy, but it was also presented as an independent sculpture. In 1906 "The Thinker" was placed at the front of the Pantheon in Paris, thus becoming the first sculpture of the artist to be exhibited in a public place in Paris. After the opening of the Rodin Museum, the sculpture was copied to the sculpture garden of the Biron Palace, where it stands to this day.

#Auguste Rodin

The Rodin Museum is named after the French sculptor Auguste Rodin, who is known for his realistic style and for his famous sculpture "The Thinker".

Rodin was born in Paris to a poor family and despite his talent, at the beginning of his artistic career, he could not take off. For twenty years he made a living by carving and his application was rejected three times by the "Ecole des Beaux-Arts" (National High School of Fine Arts).

The turning point began in the mid 1870s, when he toured Italy and saw Michelangelo's works, from which he drew inspiration for his creation, "The Bronze Age". Rodin's characters were so realistic and distant from what was customary at the time that they accused him of casting with the bodies of living models. After it became clear that the charges against him had no basis, he received tremendous admiration for his impressive achievement and he was recognized as one of the greatest sculptors in the whole world.

#The Rodin Museum for Tourists

The house, cafe and garden of the Rodin Museum are dedicated to the work of the genius sculptor, Rodin, who lived and sculpted here during his last years. This is a small museum and one of the most unique and beautiful in the city. Many choose this museum as a favorite for them in Paris because of its beauty and pleasant and artistic atmosphere, along with the magnificent sculptures that make Rodin the successor of the Classical period sculptors.

The museum opened in 1919 and is located in the Hotel Biron, which was built in 1727 and where Rodin lived since 1908.

If you come here with children and the museum is not able to intrigue them enough, you can stroll through the museums garden and look at Rodin's sculptures. You can also sit in the museum's café, because it is open to the garden and while your sitting, the adults, can let the kids go wild in the lawns and learn about Rodin's works through the sculptures.

Hotel Biron underwent a three year and 16 million euro renovation, it reopened in November 2015. It also revealed 600 items that were never displayed before.

#Rodin's Most Prominent Works

At the museum you can find some of Rodin's familiar sculptures:

#The Gates of Hell

This is a huge sculpture project commissioned by the French government - a large bronze gate called "The Gates of Hell". The gate was to be the entrance of a decorative art museum, but it was not executed because it was never finished and the gate itself was not completed for 37 years until the sculptor's death.

#The Thinker

One of Rodin's most famous sculptures. It describes a bronze man immersed in his thoughts. It's construction was completed in 1902 and two years later the statue was released to the public. The truth is that Rodan called it "Dante the Thinker," but the more common and known name is "The Thinker."

#The Burghers of Calais

The sculpture was completed in 1888 and describes the surrender of the city of Calais in 1347 to Edward the 3rd, after a siege that lasted over a year, during the Hundred Years War. Edward the 3rd offered not to destroy the city, provided all six of the most important dignitaries of the city came and sacrificed their lives. After the six dignitaries agreed and being persuaded by Queen of England, Philippa of Hainault, Edward the 3rd agreed not to carry out the execution. The sculpture presents the different characteristics of each of the six figures. The statue was controversial because Rodin chose to present the city's representatives as broken people rather than heroes.

#The Age of Bronze

This is one of Rodin's most famous statues of and it sparked a great rage when it was first shown in 1877. The reason was because the statue of the naked man seemed so natural and real that the artist was accused of casting him from a live human model. After it became clear that the accusations had no basis, they recognized him as a genius and he was admired and appreciated as one of the greatest sculptors in the world. Many have since regarded him as the successor to the great sculptors of the classical period.

#Rodin Gardens

The Rodin Gardens are a magical wonder, like a gem inside a museum. There's a lot of beauty in them. Not luxurious, but a combination of simple, comforting and relaxing beauty at the same time. Classical symmetry and classical sculptures. You can not say that the sculptures scattered in the garden are only beautiful, but also arouse quite a bit of thought. From time to time tourists can be seen trying to imitate the more or less complicated poses of the statues.

The gardens spreads over three dunams and are divided into a rose garden and a large ornamental garden.

Between the two main buildings of the museum is a charming garden where passerby can see "The Thinker" and the famous roses of the gardens. But in order to really discover the large and wide gardens, one has to go through the wide structure.

To reach another magical garden, smaller than the previous ones, go all the way to the large pool surrounded by sculptures. When the garden seems to be over - continue beyond the big arches. There you will see a small garden, with an English ambience and dimness.

#A Closer Look at the Museum:

Musée de la Vie Romantique
#About for Museum of the Romantic Period

The Romantic Museum, also called "The Museum of the Romantic Period," is located in the ninth district of Paris, not far from the Opera House. It is surrounded by a blooming garden and rose bushes, and exemplifies the Romantic period, using art pieces and many lectures. The Romantic Museum is located near Pigalle Place in the ninth district. The museum is insade a villa built in 1830, where a Dutch artist lived name Ary Scheffer, who was the King of France's favorite painter (the last king, King Louis Philippe).

During the 19th century the villa was used as a meeting place for the elite artists, poets, composers, painters and authors. Among them: the poet Lamartine, the composer Rossini, the painter Delacriox, and the author George Sand with her lover, the composer Frédéric Chopin. After Scheffer passed away, the villa was inherited by family members, and in 1982 is became a museum dedicated to Scheffer's life works and the wild life of George Sand.

the museum's exhibits have to do with the Romantic period. The museum displays Scheffer's work from the years 1795 - 1858, the years he hosted the elite artists of his time. The atmosphere was bohemian and it is as if it froze in time, far back in the 19th century.

The house where the museum is located was built in the 18th century by the student (and family relative) of legendary Ventura Rodriguez. The museum shows a collection of furniture, musical instruments, porcelain, ceramics, different decorative items, the living room where the meetings were held, a long dining table, even the bathroom of King Fernando VII. All these things together bring to life the life styles of that period.

You will also find a magical garden to pass a little of time in.

#A Short History

The small house with the garden is dedicated to its owner, Ary Scheffer, and reminds of a whole artistic movement and legendary artists of that time in the ninth district. Scheffer was a Dutch painter that arrived to Paris with his mother. He befriended Louis Philippe before he was made king, and was a teacher to the King's children. Later he was awarded a the title of Duke in the royal court. The house was built in 1830 and Scheffer built a studio for his work and for hosting.

In 1985, the family donated the house to the city, who turned it into a museum showcasing Scheffer's work in his own home. You will also find a library here that has accumulated over 4 generations. The place is also a memorial for George Sand, French author from the 19th century, a neighbor and friend of Scheffer's, who was a leading feminist. Her granddaughter saved many of her belonging, which you can find today in the lounges, which restores her original apartment.

The small museum has temporary and impressive exhibits, it is worthwhile to see when these exhibits are happening and come accordingly.

#A Closer Look:

Musée de l'Orangerie
Jeu de Paume
Au Lapin Agile