In the church there is a small bell tower, in a pure Romanesque style, with cobblestone windows and a brick-covered turret. In its head are three bells that were cast during the 17th century, in the Baroque era, and next to it is a transom, in a Veronese style.
The present church was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1117. What survived the 7th century building is the fragments of the black-and-white mosaic floor.
The inner space of the three-story church changed around 1630 to the Baroque style. But a restoration that took place at the end of the 19th century restored the Romanesque design to the original space. It is divided between columns with arches (sesto rialzato) and a roof with many supports, supported by cross-arches, just like in the Basilica of San Zeno.
In the church there are two long apsis, with central cotto and apsis with two frescos, from the 14th century.
Outside you can see the small windows of the church and its bricks and cotto. The side door is dominated by the Cangrande II della Scala arch, the most impressive arch of the Scaligeri family. Excavations uncovered a cemetery near the church, which contained fifty tombs from the 11th century, some of which extended from north to south and some from east to west.
The present structure of the church was dedicated by the Patriarch of Aquileia and served as the private chapel of the Scaligeri family, the ruling noble family of Verona. It is located next to their family cemetery, which has been here since the 13th century.