This is a large square-shaped square that has the city's singing fountain, that was planned in 1960. The central pedestrian mall is also located in the square and not far from it is the regional court.
In Nazivisimost Square (meaning Independence) is the city theater, which was completed in 1932, the city's oldest opera house, and its famous clock tower.
The name of this square has changed several times over the years. In 1878 the square was called Musala, the name of the old Muslim cemetery, which is nearby. After the liberation from the Ottoman rule, the name of the square was changed to Preslevski Square, named after Praslav Street. In honor of Bulgaria's independence in 1908, the name was changed to Nazivisimost Square, meaning Independence Square.
In 1952 the name was changed again, this time commemorating the beginning of the Bulgarian communist regime, receiving the name September 9th Square. Only in 1992, when the Communist era in Bulgaria was over, was the square returned to the name Nezavisimost Square.
Incidentally, the remains of a fortified Roman wall were discovered in an archaeological excavation in the square. Today you can see a small section of it, just behind the "New Yorker" store.