The museum was established while Sir John was still alive. After his passing, the British Parliament enforced a law determining that the house should be preserved exactly as it was in his lifetime. The law is still valid to this day. In the 19th century the museum expanded. Today this area serves as the museum's offices, library and gallery for temporary exhibitions as well.
In this museum you will find approximately 30,000 architectural illustrations and works of art, models and sculptures, paintings
and other works. The sarcophagus of Pharaoh Seti I is kept in the
cellar of the museum. In addition to the collections and artworks, there are also temporary exhibitions on various subjects, including the areas in which Sir John was interested.
Today the museum also serves as a national center for the study of architecture.
is the use of illumination. This is an original idea of Soane that he invented while planning the rooms in the Bank of England (the building where the United Kingdom Central Bank is located). Due to the special museum structure, in which the walls of the exhibition rooms are movable, it is possible to view several pictures simultaneously and rotating the display structure easily and efficiently.
The breakfast room, where you will find a concave ceiling with mirrors, was an influential feature on contemporary interior designers at the time. The museum's library is built in the Gothic style.
The house as it is today, lures the visitors into the atmosphere of Sir John Soane.
Sir John Soane decided to build his house on the north side of Lincoln’s Inn. He bought three houses adjacent to each other and rebuilt them for this purpose. Shortly after his appointment as professor of architecture at the Royal Academy, he purchased the building where the museum is located - house number 13. Originally, the house was supposed to serve him as an office.
His wife passed away in 1815, and he remained alone in the house, continuing to develop his collections and works.
In 1823, when he was 70 years old, he purchased the adjacent building, number 14, and expanded it to the museum grounds, significantly increasing them in size. Sir John Soane passed away in 1837.