The Country House to Learn About British Architecture in the 19th CenturyThe Red House is recognized as one of the most important examples of British architecture in the 19th century.
It is an artistic building located in a small town in southeastern London. It was designed by architect Philip Webb and designer William Morris in 1859. The house was intended for William Morris and his wife. Construction was completed in 1860.
Morris, inspired by his education at Oxford University, decided to build a country house, far from central London. He bought the plot and asked his friend Philip Webb to help him design and build the house. He took the money for construction and design from the inheritance from his wealthy family. Morris was deeply influenced by the Middle-Ages and neo-Gothic styles. This is indeed clearly reflected in the overall design of the house.
It was here that Morris's two daughters, Jenny and May, were
born. At first he thought he would live here for the rest of his life, but he
soon realized that the style dictated by the house did not match his economic ability, being too lavish and expensive. Indeed, Morris sold the property five years later.
Today the house is declared a national heritage site.
Building the Red HouseThe red house was built in traditional construction, which was influenced by the Middle-Ages. There are red bricks, a sloping roof with gables at different heights, skylights and large white chimneys. This residence was the first example of a house designed in the spirit of the new culture, and the first to be designed with attention to the close connection between the exterior and the interior. It was built using ancient construction methods and without the use of advanced technology at all.
There is no doubt that the Red House is designed as a home, an inviting living space. It has no ostentatious and estranged glory. No money was spent on prestigious gardens, there was no exaggerated display of decorations and ornaments, and there was no attempt to emphasize art.
The Red House served as a residence for various individuals until 2002. During this period, changes were made to its interior design. In 2003, the National Fund purchased the house, which in turn undertook the goal of preserving and maintaining the house, along with attractions for visitors and a souvenir shop.