The square was established in 1819 and is located in Westminster quarter. It is a nexus between Regent, Piccadilly and Shaftesbury avenues. The square was designed by architect John Nash. Originally its shape was round like a standard square but with the construction of Shaftesbury Boulevard its shape changed to a triangle.
Before the establishment of the square, this area was a part of the London markets. The name was given to a large, grand house that stood here and belonged to a tailor named Robert Baker. Baker was a manufacturer and merchant of collars called Piccadilly –which were high collars in the 17th century. Collars became a trend and Baker became rich from selling them. The house, which caught the eye of his neighbors, is called "Piccadilly Hall". The street and the square were named after the house.
The Trocadero building is another attraction for tourists in the area. The complex includes restaurants, souvenir shops and more. Due to the proximity of the square to entertainment and shopping complexes, it is a popular tourist attraction. At the corner of the square you will find the fountain-like sculpture called "Eros" after the angel sculpture at the head. On fine days you can walk among the hordes of travelers, sit on the steps of the statue, take a picture with it and absorb a real London atmosphere. In the square there are several other buildings worth visiting: the memorial of Lord Shaftesbury, the Criterion Theater, the London Pavilion and more.
The construction of the square began 200 years ago, in 1819, at the intersection of Piccadilly and Regent Roads. In the past, the square was considered the center of the world and to this day it is considered a popular meeting place especially for tourists. There is a western road departing from the square leading out of the city, and therefore important and significant.
The square was designed by architect John Nash, who designed Trafalgar Square and Park Regent. Over the years, the square underwent many changes. Though initially the purpose of the square was meant for vehicles alone, additional sections were opened later for pedestrians. The magnificent fountain at the center of the square was added only a few years later. The square's initial shape was round, but it changed in 1886, once Shaftesbury Avenue was built.
The square is located in the Westminster district and is the city's classical cultural center. Along the main avenue you will find booths selling tickets to the various plays running in the various theaters in the quarter.
At the head of the fountain stands the sculpture of "the Angel of Christian Charity," by sculptor Alfred Gilbert, which has become one of the city's most popular symbols. For some reason, despite its angel-like appearance, the public identified him as Eros and mythological love. In early years, the sculptor caused controversy because the statue is of a naked man. However as time passed the public became accustomed to it and even appreciated its uniqueness - the first aluminum sculpture in the world.
Originally, the statue faced the north, but during World War II it was lowered to protect it, and when it was returned it was placed facing southward.