About the Plant Nursery that Became a Popular Restaurant in the CityThe Palms House, located in the center of Vienna near the new Albertina Museum, built in 1901. Originally it served as a greenhouse for tropical plants and a place to grow butterflies of the Royal Palace. The place was not always flourishing and visited, and for many years it was called "Sleeping Beauty" because the place was neglected and was hard to rise. Only in 1998 began the massive renovation of the greenhouse, which lasted three years.
And it worked. The metal and glass structure quickly became a hot brasserie restaurant, the Palmhouse. It became a hit among tourists and locals. Palm trees and tropical plants are growing throughout the greenhouse, but the heat and humidity of the greenhouse can be tolerated thanks to the air conditioning. They became an integral part of the decorof the cafe and the restaurant, which were built inside the greenhouse and not outside, alongside it.