About the Meicherplatz SquareOpposite Hofberg Palace lies one of the famous squares of Vienna. It was originally planned in 1720 by Josef Emanuel Fischer von Erlach, but the project was stopped several times and only in 1888 construction began. Over the years the square became a strong baroque symbol.
At the entrance to the square are huge statues of Hercules. On either side of the square there are also large fountains with statues. The right fountain, called "Mastery of the Land", was designed in 1897 by Edmund Hellmer and symbolizes the Austrian army. The left fountain, "Mastery of the Sea," was sculpted in 1895 by Rudolf Weyr and symbolizes the Austrian naval force.
In the center of the square there is an archeological dig site that contains remains from the Roman Empire and the Middle Ages. It was preserved as part of the activities of the Vienna Museum.
Michaelplatz Square is surrounded by several ancient buildings, which symbolize and glorify the architecture of the Austrian Empire. Among them you can see the Looshaus, considered one of the city's modern buildings, the Old Church and St. Michael's Church.