About the Monument for the Victims of the Black PlagueThis sculpture was built between 1682 and 1692 by Franz Menegatti, who collaborated with other artists. The statue is a monument to commemorate the fallen of the Black Plague in Vienna in 1679, that killed about 75,000 people. It is made of a combination of bronze and stone and is 2 meters high. You can see it at the exit from the Jewish Museum, on Graben Street.
The Renaissance and the beginning of the Baroque period were periods of cultural and artistic flowering, but an inseparable part of those times were outbreaks of epidemics that caused an incredible number of deaths, especially between 1346-1353. A later outbreak of the plague was in 1679.
The city of Vienna was able to cope with the epidemic by means of various sanitation measures. At the same time, special hospitals were set up for the victims, and the victims' bodies were thrown and burned in huge pits outside the city limits.
The monument is composed of the figures at the base whose role was to represent the victory of faith over the plague and were dedicated to the symbols of the empire. At the top of the statue is the figure of a dove (the Holy Spirit) and beneath it a golden cherubim and sculpted angels.