About Vienna’s ObservatoryOne of the world's oldest observatories is the Urania Observatory, named after the astronomy muse: Orania. The height of this observatory is 51 meters, allowing visitors to enjoy
watching the stars above, but also the magnificent view reflected below, which also includes the lake and the surrounding mountains.
It is no coincidence that the observatory began operating in 1759, during the Renaissance, as it was a period of quite a few discoveries in the fields of astronomy.
The Observatory was moved to its present location where you stand in 1907. It was built by Emperor Franz Joseph. The main purpose of the place was to serve as a "home for
mass education" and therefore the building was also built with lecture halls, the observatory and even a puppet theater for young children. It is interesting to hear that there was also a theater here, which is rare and unusual for that time period. In fact, it was the first building in the world to be built as a theater.
During World War II, the building was completely destroyed. It reopened in 1957 and resumed operating under the same pattern and purpose as it had in the past.