The street was originally built following an imperial edict by Franz Joseph announcing the destruction of the walls and fortifications around the city and the construction of the grand street. Construction began in 1858, and ended seven years later, its cost amounted to quite a bit - about a billion dollars.
From the initial planning it was clear that the goal was to create a center of Vienna - built for four large driving routes, a special pedestrian walkway, cyclists and tracks for the tram. It is shaped in a horseshoe shape and is 6.5 kilometers in length.
Today, thousands of people come to this road to see the architectural buildings, the well-tended gardens, the monuments and statues from the imperial periods of Vienna and the many tourist attractions the street offers. In addition, the street hosts quite a few festivals and cultural and leisure events that also receive a proper backdrop: colorful lamps, flags and matching stalls.