The land for building the concert hall was received by the Friends of Music Association from Emperor Franz Joseph. It opened in 1870 and is the permanent residence of the Vienna Philharmonic. In 1907 the organ was installed in the building.
The main hall is spectacular. It is coated in gold, contains about 1,744 seats and another 300 seats for standing spectators. The design combines wood and crystal, giving the place a luxurious and festive atmosphere.
During the first decade of the new millennium, renovations and expansions were conducted in the building, and additional halls were added to it. Each year, on January 1st, there is a festive concert symbolizing the beginning of the new year.