The monument against the war and Fascism was established in 1985 by the Austrian sculptor Alfred Hrdlicka, and it is not by accident that it is located here. In the course of air attacks in 1947, a building called "Philiphoff House" blew up in this place and took hundreds of victims.
The monument is constructed of various elements located in the square, including two white marble columns engraved with figures reflecting the suffering of the victims. The elements are made of granite taken from the area of the Mauthausen concentration camp. Another element that belongs to the monument is the tombstone, the Rock of the Republic. Note that the Declaration of Independence of Austria is engraved on it.