About Austria's National TheaterThe Burgtheater, the National Theater of Austria, is the oldest theater in Europe. It was founded by Empress Maria Theresa in 1741. The Viennese call it simply the "screw".
In 1776 it became the National Theater, thanks to the initiative of Emperor Joseph II, son of Maria Theresa. It is located within a historic building in the Ringstrasse, the boulevard that surrounds the center of Vienna. This theater was moved to this building in 1888.
But the "Screw" was never just a theater house. Many lovers of art and culture visited this place regularly, especially during the Golden Age of Vienna's most prominent actors and actresses.
The building was damaged during World War II, but it was not long before it was restored back to function. The structure of the theater on the outside reminds of a large and impressive white castle, but the interior is no less magnificent and impressive. This luxury is expressed, among other things, by the luxurious chandeliers, carpets and ceiling paintings painted by the Klimt brothers. It has 1,300 seats and so many visitors have come here over the years. Quite a few playwrights have staged their plays here, including Theodore Herzl.