The gate is styled after the Propylaea style (a monumental gate building that was used as the entrance to the Acropolis in Athens, Greece). Just like the use of Propylaea to lead into the temple of the ancient world, is the same use of the Brandenburg Gate to lead into the most important city of the Kingdom of Prussia. Talking about architecture, the gate completely announced the entrance into the classical Berlin architecture age.
The gate was built between 1788 – 1791. Its height is 15 meters tall, 65.6 meters wide, and 11 meters longs. It contains 12 columns each 15 meters tall, with a meter and a half diameter. Through here are five separate passageways, though only two were originally opened. Today the gate is for pedestrian use only.
The gate and fence symbolize freedom and unification, and today it is one of the most important locations in the city.
In 1806, after the conquering of Berlin, Napoleon walked through the gate into Berlin and took with him the statue above the gate, the Quadriga,
as a war prize. Napoleon transferred the statue to Paris.
In 1914 the war celebrations were celebrated around this gate.
In 1933 the Nazi’s walked through the gate in a march that symbolized the beginning of the darkest time in the history of Germany, what would lead to the destruction of the city and its division.
With the end of World War II the gate was badly damaged by bombings.
In 1987 the President of the United States Reagan visited Berlin, and gave a speech in front of the gate where he called the President of the Soviet Union Mikhail Gorbachev, “if you are a man of peace, take down this wall.” After a wave of applause, in 1989 the Berlin Wall fell, and the gate became a symbol for the reunited Berlin. At the same time the gate also became a main location for different celebrations: New Year’s Eve, the Berlin Marathon, street markets and the Pride and Love Parade.
Between the years 2000 and 2002 the gate went through extensive renovations, to the price of about 3 million dollars.
After the war the gate became a part of the wall dividing East and West Berlin, and also symbolized the city’s division.
In 1806, after the conquering of Berlin, the status was stolen by Napoleon and taken to Paris. It was returned to its rightful place only 8 years later, in 1814, with the olive branch having been replaced by a cross. This was also the reason for the difference in the statue’s symbol – from a bringer of peace to a goddess of victory.