About the Big Palace in BerlinOne of the most important Baroque buildings to survive in Berlin is also the biggest palace among 9 palaces in Berlin, the Palace of Charlottenburg (Schloss Charlottenburg). In its past Berlin was once the capital of the Prussia Empire. The palace is actually one of the most incredible remains of that time.
It was built between 1695 and 1699. Prince Frederick III gave the order to build it for his wife Sophie Charlotte. Following the death of the queen in 1705 the king decided to name the palace after her, Charlottenburg. In the following years it became the king’s summer housing.
In 1740, King Frederick II ascended the throne and lived in the palace for some time.
In 1952, a monument by Andreas Schlöter was placed, where the prince is riding his horse in the garden entrance to the palace.
Today visitors can view the permanent exhibit for Baroque furniture, ceramics, and other displays about the lifestyle of Prussia in the 17th and 18th centuries.
The Palace’s HistoryThe amazing palace was built between 1695-1699. Though the design was created by the court architect Johann Arnold Nering, the actual building was overlooked by Martin Grunberg after Nering’s death.
The palace has managed to maintain its ancient vibes, however throughout the years many architects have made changes to it.
Between the years 1702-1713 a Swedish architect Eusander von Gette. He added a building, a chapel and a greenhouse for oranges. In 1711 a status was erected for the the goddess of fortune, Portuna, on the central roof.
In 1740, during the stay in the palace of Frederick II, the royal architect Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff added the ‘new wing,’ continuing the main building from its eastern side.
In the year 1790 an addition was made to the "orange greenhouses" - the "Little Oranges" and in the years that followed a theater was also added, a Belvedere in the Palace Park, a Mausoleum and the Beit Sheinkel.
In World War II the palace was destroyed. Restoration and reconstruction of the rooms were based on photographs taken before the war.
About the Palace GardensIn the 17th century, a long time before the outbreak of the war, Simone Gudu planned the palace gardens in the formal French style. He was greatly influenced by the French architect Andre La Notre. In 1788 the tea house was added to the garden. In 1810 the mausoleum was built for Queen Louise, and in 1825 the Neapolitan villa was built.
During the air raids of World War II, and during the Battle over Berlin, the palace gardens were almost completely burned.
The palace gardens were only partially reconstructed. Those who were restored remained in the formal French style, as they were in the 17th century, and the parts that were far from the palace were restored, but in English style. Today the palace gardens are used by the residents and the entrance to them is free.
TipsEntrance to the gardens is free.