In 1933 when the Nazis came into power, the name of the district changed, and was renamed after Horst Wessel, the Nazi anthem composer. During World War II, the borough was brutally damaged. The reason for this was that the Allies aimed the bombings on the industrial buildings in the area.
In the late 1940’s and early 1950’s, the prestigious and luxurious Stalin Avenue was built.
In 2001, during the "Neighborhood Reform" period, the borough was merged with its neighbor Kreuzberg and officially called Kreuzberg-Friedrichshain, however many residents still refer to them as separate neighborhoods.
Today there are fashion stores, artists' studios and pubs. Among the Berliners the entire district is best known for its most interesting breweries.
The other is the Karl Marx Road, a monumental boulevard built in Berlin between the years 1952 -1960 in the Classicism Stalinist style.
The Jewish Museum is also located here, and next to it is a famous museum of modern art, photography and architecture - the Berlin Gallery.
Take a look at the pubs and cafés in the Zymen Dach Street, the farmers' market which opens on Saturdsays, and the flea market on Sundays at Boxhagener Platz.
You will also see the red bridge connecting the neighborhood with Kreuzberg and Berlin's Eastern Railway Station.