About the Anti-Aircraft Tower that has Survived in Berlin to this DayIn a large green park, above a towering hill, an intimidating and dark tower was built by the Nazis during World War II.
At the height of the war, in 1940, following Hitler's personal orders, the Nazis began to build anti-aircraft defense towers, called Flakturm Humboldthain in German, a defense system against the planes and bombing of the Allies. In combination with another tower, which was a "control tower," these towers were designed to protect the city and the area. Although Hitler ordered the construction of six such towers, in practice only three were built.
The first two towers were built in the Tiergarten and Friedrichshain parks, and the third was completed in April 1942 in the Humboldthain Park. Within each such tower there was room for 15,000 citizens.
After the end of the war, the Allied armies blew up the military installations, including the towers. The tower that stood here, at Humboldthein Park, was blown up by the French engineering corps in 1948.
About 50 years later, the tall tower (80 meters high) was opened to allow guided tours. The audience was exposed to the location of one of the largest bunkers in Berlin. You must know that there are quite a few bats circling inside. Therefore, the tours take place only from April until the end of October, in order to avoid unpleasant encounters.