Today you can see the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica, which contains one of the most important collections of art in Italy.
Notice the interior of the rooms; they are adorned with paintings made by the greatest artists in the 13th and 16th centuries. An especially famous room in the palace is the bedroom of Princess Cornelia Costanza Barberini, which remains just as it was on the night of her wedding.
The palace was built in 1549, originally for another family - the Sforza family. Due to financial strife, the family sold the palace in 1625 to Maffeu Barberini - Pope Urban VIII. The same Barberini employed no less than three architects in favor of renovating the palace. During construction it became a villa with a large and impressive courtyard.
Carlo Maderno, one of the three architects, began building the palace in 1627. It was completed by Bernini in 1633. After the death of Pope Urban VIII, Pope Innocent X boycotted the place. At that time the power of the Roman church was great, which was not uncommon. However, the palace was returned to the Barberini family in 1653.