In 1870, when the Papal State was conquered, it became the official residence of the kings of Italy. Although they didn’t actually live there, the royal offices were located in the palace. With the abolition of the monarchy in 1948, the palace became the residence of the President.
On Sundays you can enter the palace and see the frescoes of the Baroque artist Pietro da Cortona in one of the palace galleries.
The place is guarded by soldiers. There is a Change of the Guard ceremony at 4:00 pm, where the soldiers march to the sound of a military band.
One of the most spectacular displays which stood here was the 2006 of Antonello Da Messina. Another was the Spring retrospective, which covered the works of Giovanni Bellini.
At the corner of the piazza is an exhibition space, Scuderie del Quirinale.
A large fountain from the 19th century stands at the palazzo. It depicts the twins from the thousands of horses from the Greek mythology - Castor and Pollux. At the center of the fountain is an obelisk brought here from the tomb of Augustus.