About Chania's FortressIn the North Western harbor of Chania, the Venetians built the Firkas Fortress, also known as Revellino del Porto. This is a fortress that was built to protect the harbor, the city, and the trading routes near it. Its building began in 1610, and ended about a century later, only years before the Turkish takeover of the Island.
The inner part of the fortress was designated as rooms for the ruling army, arms inventory, and army headquarters. The South side of the fortress has 6 gun holes, facing the harbor entry and in the center - a water container collecting rainwater.
During the Ottoman rule that fortress was used as castle barracks, for the Turkish soldier, who nicknamed it "Firkas." Today, the fortress is still referred to as Firkas. With the unification of Crete and Greece on the first of December, 1913, the Greek flag was lifted about the guard tower, in a formal military ceremony. Here every year the unification is celebrated.