For hundreds of years the area served as a large wholesale zone. In 1183 King Philip August increased the market area of Paris and built a shelter to protect the merchants who came to sell their products. In the 1950's, massive steel and glass structures were erected, which became the symbol of the region and gave it the nickname "the belly of Paris."
In 1971 the market was destroyed and with it, lost the colorful and noisy atmosphere that was so well known. For several years the place was actually a huge pit and considered an aesthetic hazard that disturbed the visitors to the Church of Saint Eustache. It was even called "The Hole of God". Construction was completed in 1977 with the inauguration of the subway station.
The area grew into a modern shopping and entertainment complex. In the innovative commercial center that was built there are hundreds of shops on four underground levels: clothing stores, footwear, cosmetics and household items, restaurants, cafes and a cinema. There are also several small museums: the wax museum, the rock museum and an oceanographic center that provides a glimpse into ocean life.
The building was criticized for its design and therefore in 2004 the municipality conducted an architecture competition for the new building. David Menzhen won and planned to rebuild the area.
The main area of the forum is out in the open air, is submerged in a level lower than the street level and has statues, fountains and mosaics.
Behind the forum you will find a special garden designed in combination with classic and modern styles. It has a children's play area, a small train in the style of the early 20th century and an unusual sundial, which shows the time carved in stone.
Despite the pastoral nature of the place in the day, it is considered a drug trafficking zone and becomes dangerous at night