The construction of the church took 85 years. This was due to the political unrest in France at the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century. The political upheaval of the period, including the French Revolution, brought about many changes in the location and building plans of the building.
Today in the church there are concerts for music lovers, there are weekly masses and it is one of the most popular today, especially for couples who want to get married in a fancy ceremony. If you arrive at the right time and day, you will have a spectacular experience, because there is a hidden competition between the couples about who will produce a more fashionable and luxurious wedding.
It was first built in 1764. It was supposed to be a replica of the church in the Invalides, but the architect who was in charge of the mission died in the middle of construction and as a result the construction was halted.
In 1777, the new architect destroyed what his predecessor had built and began to build again, this time as a copy of the Pantheon. With the outbreak of the French Revolution, the work was halted again. The revolutionaries did not see the need for another church and therefore proposals were made to change the purpose of the building - a library, a dance hall or an indoor market, but despite the proposals, nothing was actually done.
In 1806 Napoleon appointed a new architect, who would build a hall of fame, "a temple for the glory of the mighty army" at his request. The new architect destroyed the building for a third time and decided to go for a classic style, based on a model of an ancient Greek temple. It soon became apparent that the construction of the Arc de Triomphe, whose purpose was identical, eliminated the need for a church. Construction was stopped again. Years passed and this architect has also died - when the building is still not finished.
It was not until 1842 that it was decided to complete the construction. 52 pillars each 20 meters tall glorify it today. Around it and its bronze doors are carved scenes of the Ten Commandments. One of the best organs of Paris is set up in this church.