Square in Jaffa, was used during the Ottoman Empire rule over Israel. It replaced the Saraya House that was located in ancient Jaffa. Here the institutions of the municipal administration and the Turkish-Ottoman government were located. The building was opened towards the end of the 19th century, in 1897, and it was built using donations from rich Jaffians. In charge of its design was Jewish architect Baruch Pepiermiester, from Rishon Letzion's farmers, and who would later become head of the settlement committee.
During the War of Independence, on January 4th 1948, Lehi combatants bombed the Saraya House, they were the most extreme militant group in Israel. It was a rainy day and the streets were empty. Two Lehi combatants arrived at the square by truck, which they parked across from the Saraya House, even though the guard was yelling for them not to park there, the two promised to be right back as they lit a 80 second switch, and hurried away from the spot. When they were a few blocks away at Jerusalem Boulevard, they heard the massive bomb, which destroyed the building, killing 10 of its residents and injuring over 100 people.
The truth is that Tel Avivians had some issues with this house. Though during the British Mandate it was a mere administrative building, it was also used as the headquarters for Jaffa Arabs. Though the headquarter started for political leaders, during the war the Arab National Committe of Jaffa settled in the building. Thus the building served more and more as the headquarters for the Arab forces of Jaffa, from which shooting activities were directed to the city of Tel Aviv. An explosion during the war was a matter of time ...
Today, only remnants of the Saraya House remain, reconstructed and restored, and became a silent symbol of the terror imposed upon the Arabs of Jaffa at the time, following the attack on such an important governmental symbol.