The Ajami neighborhood, originally a neighborhood of well-to-do Christian Arabs, is an old neighborhood in Jaffa, crammed with houses, a large part of which is of old houses built during the Ottoman period. After the establishment of the State of Israel, it was an Arab neighborhood, Arabs and Jews live there. In most of the newer, more prestigious homes, people have moved to the neighborhood in recent decades, most of them Jews and foreigners.
The main street of the Ajami neighborhood, which runs from north to south, is Yefet Street. This street is full of shops and many popular restaurants.
The neighborhood was founded in the second half of the 19th century by Arab Christians, members of the Maronite community, south of the Jaffa walls. On the map drawn by the Templar engineer and the German colony of Jaffa Theodor Sandal in 1878/79, Ajami appears. Interestingly, the neighborhood's name is not Christian, but named after Ibrahim al-Ajami. According to the Muslim tradition Ibrahim al-Ajami was part of the group of the Prophet Muhammad and his grave is located in southern Jaffa, where today there is the Al-Ajami mosque, also named after him.