About the Masaryk SquareMasaryk Square and the garden at its center are named after Thomas Masaryk, the first president of Czechoslovakia and a Czech leader who was a good friend of the Jewish people and of the Jewish community. Masaryk visited the young Tel Aviv in the 1920's.
The Masaryk Square is the quiet and modest sister of Rabin Square. This elliptical square doesn't have much of the bustle of the nearby Rabin Square and is known as a place to sit with a cup of coffee and a book or a newspaper.
Masaryk Square is one of the most important squares of the "White City" of Tel Aviv. Around it are a number of residential buildings in the international style, a product of the Bauhaus in Tel Aviv.
Near the fountain you can see the duck statue of artist Dudu Geva. This duck appeared in the artist's comics for many years and in a way became the unofficial symbol of the city of Tel Aviv.
In the northern part of the square, see "Pillar, Burg and Ducks," by sculptor Moti Mizrachi. The statue, donated by American Jewish businessman Meshulam Riklis, was erected here in 1989.
History of Masaryk SquareMasaryk Square is one of the oldest squares in Tel Aviv. It was built when Tel Aviv began to be extended northward and what was to be called the "Old North" of Tel Aviv was built.
The square also contributed to the history of the city. Here, during the "Great Regent" in Tel Aviv, taking place in the summer of 1946, a British paratroopers unit was stationed right here.
Around the square, convoys of aid to besieged Jerusalem were organized during the War of Independence. When the Egyptian army bombed Tel Aviv in the War of Independence, a bomb landed at the center of the square. A resident of one of the houses in the square was killed, looking from her balcony at the plane from which the deadly bomb was dropped.
Another woman was killed here during the Six-Day War, when the Jordanian army fired from Qalqiliya to Tel Aviv, with long-range guns. It was the two shells that hit Masaryk Square that killed the woman and destroyed the surrounding buildings.