4. Jesus Meets the Mother MaryOn the fourth stop of the Via Dolorosa, Jesus meets his mother Mary. The station is at the Armenian-Catholic church called "Church of Mary of the Anguish," or "Our Lady of Sorrows." This church was built in 1874-1881 on the ruins of an ancient Crusader church.
The station is located in an underground hall connected to the third station. Here, according to tradition, Mary stood and watched Jesus bearing the Cross. Look at the statue of Mary and Jesus meeting. They both understand that this is their last meeting. The pain is visible on their faces.
Next to the statue you can see a Byzantine mosaic floor. Pay attention to the pair of sandals or feet that are visible in it. This mosaic was discovered during the construction of the church. Researchers speculate that this is the hall floor of an ancient bathroom and there is probably no connection between the mosaic and the encounter between Mary and Jesus, a tradition that was created in the 14th century, long after the Byzantine period and not described in the New Testament. Nevertheless, the Christian tradition identifies the mosaic as the sign of the place where Mary stood when she saw her son Jesus walking with difficulty, with the cross on his back, on his last journey, at Via Dolorosa.
The compound, which includes the third and fourth stations, is part of the center of Armenian believers in Jerusalem. This church, where the stations are located, is built on a Byzantine church, where a section of an ancient mosaic that looks like sandals is preserved.