The center, once known as the "People's House", touched history when, in the 1960's, it was the site of the famous trial in the history of Israel - the Eichmann Trial.
The capture of the Nazi official, Hitler's deputy and directly responsible for a significant part of the Holocaust, was a formative event, when his trial was an opportunity for the State of Israel to demonstrate proper treatment for Nazi criminals after World War II. It was clear that the trial would intrigue the entire world media and that there would be a lot of media events that would generate national outbursts of national sentiment.
On the question of the location of the trial, even the first Prime Minister Ben-Gurion was personally involved. Since there was no suitable place in Jerusalem for a trial with hundreds of participants and journalists, Ben-Gurion sent his bureau chief, Teddy Kollek, to find a suitable place for the trial in the city. At the top of Bezalel Street stood the empty and unfinished building of the "People's House", a Jerusalem institution that existed since the beginning of the 19th century, but wandered among various sites in the city. In the 1940's, this permanent structure began to be built, but in the 1950's, due to the austerity that prevailed in Israel and the budget deficit, construction was halted. The building has since been empty on its skeleton, a kind of modern ruin.
When Kollek and Ben-Gurion chose this building to hold the trial, contributions were raised by the mayor of Jerusalem at the time, Mordechai Ish-Shalom, and the building was completed in favor of the trial and future uses.
Thus, in 1961 the construction of the "People's House" was completed. Indeed, it served as the venue of one of the most famous sentences in the world, the scene of the trial of the Nazi enemy Eichmann. From here it has become a cultural center and the Jerusalem municipality is full of content of a different kind.
In the 1980's, the building was renovated again by the Jerusalem Foundation. The building was then named after Gerard Becher, the son of the French millionaire who donated the money to renovate the building. The new planner, by the way, was the architect David Reznik, the same architect who in his youth planned the "People's House" and completed its construction in preparation for the famous trial.