This station is located on the route of the Cardo Maximus, the main street of Jerusalem in the Roman period, a road that led from the Damascus Gate to today's Zion Gate.
The Franciscan church, now in place, was built by the Franciscans in 1875. They planned to build a school here, but eventually built the church that was later transferred to the Coptic-Catholic community. There is one pillar left in the church from the Roman Cardo that used to be here.
Here, according to Christian tradition, was the "gate of the trial," which was one of the gates of Jerusalem during the Second Temple period from which Jesus was taken from the city to be crucified. The gate, which does not appear in the Bible, is located at the intersection of Via Dolorosa and the olive press, in the heart of the bustling market. It is the Franciscan Christians who bind this place to the gate of law. The researchers speculate that this is a tradition from the 13th century, which was intended to emphasize to the faithful that Jesus was crucified outside the walls, as was common in the crucifixion of Jews among the Romans.