In 1982 the museum moved to Leiden, where it was a public museum until 1995. The entire collection was expanded with historic and international ethnographic items. The museum published research that it had conducted regarding scientific historical facts.
In 1995 the museum moved to its current location, where you are standing right now. It is located in a typical canal home that was built in the 1680 between Leidseplein and the National Museum.
The museum has a wide variety of pipes, among them are artworks like carved pipes, and ceramic handmade pipes. When the Tobacco Neimeyer Museum (established by the longstanding tobacco firm Neimeyer) was closed in 2011, the Pipe Museum bought about 400 items from their collection before the public auctions.
The museum today has about 25,000 items that have been collected for more than 2,500 years. The items, collected from all of Holland's previous colonies, are stored in 17 different locations. They are divided by material, production techniques, their different uses and their origin. The museum is considered a leader around the world in terms of collections and publicized research, using books from its mass library of several thousand books