The courtyard was built in 1346 for the women of Begijnhof. They were fraternal societies that devoted their lives to the sick and the needy. The Begijnhof lived a life that was very reminiscent of the life of the nuns, but instead of dedicating their lives to God, as nuns do, they devoted them to the poor. They had their own rules, which they were careful to keep. In 1578, with the religious revolution, the Protestants confiscated their Catholic Church at the end of the courtyard. Having no choice, the women were forced to continue their worship in secret, in improvised prayer houses.
In most of these housing units, single women still live today. Their apartments usually have one large room. Since the entire site is defined as a historic preservation asset, it is forbidden to demolish walls or one apartment here, which is the reason for the restrictive conditions. Do not forget, although the place is very interesting, it is a private compound and the quiet should be maintained.