There are several statues decorating the monument. Including four male figures, whose role is to represent the tragedies of war. Woman and child, symbolizing peace and men with dogs, a symbol of the resistance movement to the occupier. Behind the monument are 12 burial vased, each containing dirt from the provinces of the Netherlands.
Every year, on the eve of the liberation of the Netherlands from the burden of the Nazis, the day the memorial was dedicated years later, a memorial ceremony was held for the victims of the war.
The initiative to erect the monument in memory of the fallen was entrusted to John Redeker, a famous Dutch painter and sculptor. During that period, his works were exhibited at the Stedelijk Museum and he received great appreciation, especially by the mayor who decided that he would build the monument. The Dutch government approved the design of the monument in 1952 and its construction was launched.
The final monument was unearthed in May 1956. Since then it has undergone 2 rehabs: the first in 1965 and the second in 1997, when all bricks were replaced with concrete.
Every year, on Memorial Day for the Fallen of World War II, hundreds of flowers are placed on the monument by the Dutch Queen. In addition, the ceremony commemorates the memory of the fallen, in 2 minutes of silence.