The pieces used to built this church were built in Vienna, Austria in 1871. After having built the pieces, they were loaded onto ships and shipped to Istanbul on the Danube River.
From a religious point of view, this church serves the Bulgarian community in Istanbul who are Greek-Orthodox. Legend has it that in the 19th century, the Bulgarians wanted to leave the Greek-Orthodox church and build the Bulgarian church. The Sultan agreed to their request only if the new church will be built in seven days. This is why the community ordered the finished model from Vienna, so the church could be built within the time framce given by the sulten.