Frederic Chopin, the great Polish composer, lived for many years in Paris, where he rose as a great piano composer. Chopin continued to miss Poland for the rest of his life. In 1882 when he passed away, his will requested that he be buried in Poland.
His wish was fulfilled, partly. While his body was buried in the famous Parisian Père Lachaise cemetery, his heart was taken out of his body and buried in Warsaw. The heart was placed inside a vase that was placed in a niche, in one of the chapels in this church. Near the niche a marble plate was placed, with Chopin's figure, sculpted by Leonardo Marconi.
The Holy Cross Church is a very ancient and important church in the city of Warsaw, originally a Roman Catholic prayer house. The church was established in the 15th century, as a small wooden chapel of the Holy Cross. In 1526 the church leaders decided to destroy the fragile chapel and established a new church. 100 years later, in 1615, it was renovated and expanded by Zembrzuski Paweł and continued to grow so that it could meet the needs of the evolving Warsaw.
The current structure of the Baroque church was rebuilt at the end of the 17th century. This happened about 30 years after the church was destroyed and damaged by a flood. The new architect was chosen by the royal architect, Józef Szymon Bellotti, an important and famous Polish architect who also taught at the Royal Academy of Architecture in Warsaw.
Thus, beginning in the 17th century, the Holy Cross Church was considered one of the most important churches in Warsaw, which at that time replaced Krakow and became the new capital of Poland.
In the 18th century two towers were added to the church and above them were mounted special bells. Today the church is run by missionary monks, from the Father Vincent de Paul sect, who donated the money to build the magnificent church building originally.