The monument was presented to the public in 1948, on the fifth anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. It was sculpted by the artist Natan Rapaport, who was assisted by its founder, architect Suzanne. Rapaport was a Jewish sculptor, painter and photographer who was born in Warsaw and lost all his family in the Holocaust. Throughout his life, after the war, he devoted his most important and best-known works to commemorating those who perished and fought the Nazis.
Next to the monument, the German Chancellor Willy Brandt knelt down in 1970 to commemorate the victims and begged forgiveness for the German crimes against the Jewish people. The Poles thanked him by naming the square in front of the monument after him.
A replica of the monument is also in the Warsaw Ghetto Square, on the Yad Vashem plaza in Jerusalem. Many see it as one of the most important symbols of the Holocaust and heroism heritage.
On one side of the monument, statues of heroic soldiers are displayed against the backdrop of the Ghetto in flames and Jews being sent to extermination. They hold hand grenades, rifles and Molotov cocktails, as symbols of their heroism. This side is called "The Struggle."
On the other side of the monument is the "March to Death," where you can learn about the suffering, torture and killing of the victims, by a group of religious Jews walking head down to their deaths.
The monument is made of blocks of stone that were brought by the Germans from Sweden and originally designated for the establishment of the memorial monuments of Hitler and the Germans.
The trail, which begins here on Zamenhof Street, has 16 memorial stones of granite - each dedicated to the memory of a character from the Jewish past of the city.