It is the single only synagogue to survive the Holocaust and is active until today. The synagogue has actually been active since its establishment in 1902, and managed to survive the Holocaust.
The synagogue was established in 1902, by a couple with no children, Zelman and Rebecca Nozyk. The well-off couple, a textile merchant and his wife, asked only one request - that whenever the Mourner's Kadish was prayed, their names will be mentioned. Up to this day, the request is etched in stone next to the Holy Ark.
With the Nazi occupation, the Jewish community was still allowed to pray here, but in 1941 the Nazis took over and used the spaces as horse stables and a food warehouse. It survived the war up to May 6, 1943, when the Germans bombed the synagogue with a ceremonial final blow to the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.
By 1948 the place was once again a synagogue. In the 1980's there was a Jewish awakening in Poland, and the synagogue was restored, with the encouragement of the Polish government, with Jewish funds. It was rebuilt in 1983, and since then it has served as the central synagogue in Warsaw.
In the Nożyk Synagogue is the original Torah scroll that used to be in the Great Synagogue of Warsaw, which operated before the war on Tlomackia Street. Apart from a place of prayer, the synagogue became the main meeting point of the Warsaw Jewish community and a place of major cultural events, such as concerts, exhibitions and public discussions.