This was, of course, during the Warsaw Pact and Soviet rule over the entire Eastern Bloc. The tower was then the tallest building in town. Today, many high-rise buildings have been built there.
The locals in Warsaw, by the way, often refer to the building that has long become the symbol of the city, "the penis of Stalin." The Warsaw locals have a love-hate relationship with the building. A popular saying in the city is that the great advantage of an office in the Palace of Culture and Science is that its window cannot be seen ...
This huge building was built between 1952-1955 as a gift, by the Soviet Union and Stalin himself, to the Polish people. The architectural style of the building is social-realistic, Stalinist. It conveys power, respect and awe, is very impressive and contains a collection of sculpted sculptures that stand around it and represent working and learning situations, the same goals for which it was established and which exist to this day.
In addition to a large number of business offices, the building has several repertory theaters, many movie theaters, several museums, including the Technical Museum, a children's museum and a historical museum. The building also has a swimming pool, 2 bars, a night club and the largest congress hall in Warsaw, which can accommodate over 4,500 participants at a time.
Thanks to its height, the tower that Stalin left for the city also serves as a landmark for orientation. After the fall of Communism in Poland, the new authorities made a referendum in which the residents were asked to decide what to do with the hated building, which was probably a symbol of the days many wanted to forget. The results of the referendum determined that despite the lack of sympathy for the building and what it represents, the Poles want the building to continue.