The roof of the building, was originally built as an art gallery and house for artists and people of cultural importance, decorated statues of great composers and figures from the history of Prague.
Incidentally, the connection of the Czech Philharmonic to the building is not new. The first concert of this orchestra took place right here in 1896. The conductor of that concert was the famous Czech composer Antonin Dvorak. Dvorak, a national composer and the person who signed some of the great classical works of the period, won that evening on the "Symphony of the New World" - his most famous work.
The building also houses an art gallery with temporary exhibitions. During the winter months, performances are offered for children, like poetry and dance performances and a puppet theater, featuring performances based on fairy tales.
When the soldier asked the commander how he would recognize Mendelssohn, his commander replied, "by the typical look Jews have." So the soldier, the representative of the Aryan race, rose and destroyed Wagner's statue.
It is not known what punishment the soldier received for destroying the statue of the musician revered by Hitler, who loved Wagner, a famous music genius and anti-Semite. But Mendelssohn is still standing there on the roof with big names, such as Handel, Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert and other music giants. Only Wagner is missing ...