This monument was the way for the people of Athens to give thanks and commemorate the Roman Consul between the years 114 - 116 AD, who ruled the city of Athens, and granted rights and promoted the welfare and the good lives in the city. During his reign, Philopappos, originally a Greek prince of Syrian origin, built quite a few cities, including majestic buildings and monuments.
The shape of the monument made of marble has a concave all along with it. There is a niche where statues were placed, of Philopappos and his grandfather, Antoninus IV. The tower of the monument is surrounded by a strip of decoration. On it also a marble plaque, where an iron train is seen. On the train appears the figure of Philopappos the Consul, in the beginning of his rule in the year 100. To his left his father can be seen, Antiochus IV Epiphanes.
Actually, the monument survived until the 15th century. At the same time, the mayor of Jerusalem visited the city and he ordered to take down the three dedication plates on it.
Archeological digs began here in 1898 and continued until 1940. Even then, the digs did not completely stop, and an additional dig discovered, among other things, that part of the stones from the monument were used by the Ottoman Turks in the building the Minaret of the Parthenon mosque.
From the hill you can see on clear days the city of Athens and its surroundings, in a straight line from the Acropolis.