This mosque remains from the days of the Ottoman rule over the city of Athens. It was built in the 15th century over the ruins of a Christian Basilica from the Byzantine period, built somewhere in the 8th of 9th centuries. The same Christian church was turned into a mosque in 1456, shortly after the Duchy of Athens was conquered, towards the visit of the Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror in 1458.
In the Ottoman period, many called this place the Wheatmarket Mosque. During the short occupation of the city by the Venetian forces in the 17th century, the mosque was changed into a Catholic church.
As the War of Independence broke out in 1824, the mosque was used as a school. Close to the end of the war, the steeple fell from the mosque. Until the start of the 20th century, the building was used as a military prison and bakery. Since then, it was used as a place to store findings from digs in the Agora and the Acropolis in Athens.
Today, since 2017, the mosque has been repaired and operates as a museum and show room for photos and antiquities. This is how one of the most important buildings in Athens' history was turned into a leading cultural center in Athens.