The length of the Széchenyi is 350 meters. This was a project by two 'Clarks." In 1839 the engineer William Clark designed the bridge, but he had to pack up and leave Hungary quickly due to prior commitments. So finishing the bridge in 1849 was the architect Adam Clark.
The bridge quickened the union of Buda and Pest, that were becoming one city thanks to the large growth in the 19th century.
In 1945, with the Nazis surrender from the Red Army, the German army bombed the bridge. It was restored in 1949. So it became a monumental attraction in itself. For its nice structure, especially at night when it is reflected on the Danube River. The bridge is surrounded by statues of handsome lions, that have become the commercial symbol of the bridge.
On summer weekends, the bridge becomes a wide boulevard and different performances and attractions for tourists take place.
However, all the lions on the bridge have their tongues! So is the legend true? Walk around the bridge and see if you can find a lion without his tongue...