The roots of the Bucharest Jewish community begin somewhere in the 16th century. This community knew harsh realities throughout the years. The height of cruelty was the hunting by the Nazis in World War II, as well as tough rules set by Communist rulers. And with that, to this day there are a few thousand Jewish families still living in the city, who continue to seek culture and entertainment.
The theater is located next to the Jewish Museum of Bucharest. It is worth a chance to see a show here. Those who don't speak Yiddish, there are translated options with headphones that are given to those interested.
In 1944, after the fall of the Militant-Fascist rule of Antonescu, Yiddish performances were once again allowed in Romania. A year later, in 1945, the first Yiddish troop was established, called Ikuf Theater. The troop began performing in an old building that used to host another theater troop (Teatru Evreiesc Baraşeum).
Three years later, in 1948, the Communist rule ordered all private cultural establishment to close, including theaters. This is when, with the Jewish Democratic Committee (which enjoyed the perks of the government) the theatre was established.