The Stavropoleos Monastery (Biserica Stavropoleos) was founded during the reign of the prince of Wallachia, Nicolae Mavrocordat. A devout Christian, he built the church and abbey that once stood here in the courtyard of his inn. After he died, in 1742, he was buried in the church he had built, he was 61 years of age.
Over the years, the church itself has suffered quite a bit. Contributing to this were earthquakes, which led to the collapse of the dome. More and more destruction caused only the church itself to survive.
The paintings on the walls of the church were also damaged and restored only in the early 20th century, with the construction of the new building, designed by architect Ion Mincu. This building now has a library and conference room.
In addition to religious worship, the church is also engaged in the reconstruction of ancient icons and books. There is also a neo-Byzantine chorus in the church, a very rare monolithic style in today's Romanian churches.
The church includes an inner courtyard, known for its tombstones. There are pretty arches and columns, plants, and many decorations.
UNESCO declared the church as a protected site, and it is included in the list of historical Romanian monuments.